• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Panther 24" Vinyl Express Cutter??

showcase 66

Depends. What all is it coming with. Software? or do you have software already. The last couple I picked up I paid only $100 for them both. Most I paid was 250 and that came with lxi and a stand. The fact you can buy a new one for $600 at signwarehouse doesnt make them very expensive when they are used. I had one guy try and sell me one for $1500. I laughed, turned and walk away.

I would say if it is in good working order with an old version of lxi, no more than $200. If they want more, I would just go to sw and get it there. Then you at least have a warranty and some tech support to get it going if you are not completely sure.

TheSellOut

Welcome from PANY!

CSDD...really that seems like a steal...the dongle switch alone, for LXi, is $800 everyday at SW...at least the last I checked. And I thought their entry level package started at like $1500?

To the Original Poster, just out of curiousity...have you ever operated a vinyl plotter, or do you have any experience with vector based graphics?

My VE is 6 years running!
I'd say $800 for a 24" plotter, stand, and LXi w/dongle.

BadAss

First Off, WELCOME. Second CSDD is slightly off. SW has a Endura cut 24" Desktop model and the low end software starting at $700. You want a stand a basket and decent software it's closer to $1200 -$1400 The Panther is an older model but I think they were much better machines then the Endura cuts they sell now. But it still comes down to what all you get for the price. I sold a 24" cutter with stand, basket, stack of clipart cd's and a computer with sh%# loads of art and Flexi pro for $1200. Shop around and cruise around here at Signs 101 and spend some time reading forums and you can get great info that can help you make some choices. Hope it goes well for you... M*

S

SignTech

CSDD you bought a panther for $200 w/lxi ................... lol prove it. To the OP, the Panther series rocks ... don't let anyone kid you ... had my 30" for 5 years, not even a hiccup ...

Sold my 30" for 1,1100 with LXI 7.X for around 400 so total around 1500 ... but that was for a 30"

Ruthietoons1

To all of you, thanks for the info.! I am completely new to this business. I've never operated any of these machines, but my honey knows a bit. I'm actually considering buying an entire business, including the Panther, a Mutoh printer, etc. No clue what I'm doing, so I started looking around.

The lady I'm talking with wants $25K for the whole business, with a few pre-existing clients, but I'm not sure if they'll stay with me, as I'm farther away. I know she priced high expecting some barter, but I'm not thinking the whole thing is worth more than 10 or 15. If someone has an email where I could send a list of her prices and some pics, I could use a LOT of advice. :)

showcase 66

My bad. :covereyes:
I was thinking the older lynx cutters which I believe they call them enduracut now. That is why I pointed to the Enduracut.

Lynx, Panther. Its a cat.

Sorry about that. I do have a panther that I did get for about $500 with no software.

Ruthietoons1

Prism Jet Mutoh Outdoor Jr. Printer--cost?

Under 4 years old. They want $7K for it. I'm thinking that's a little high... comments?

S

SignTech

My bad. :covereyes:
I was thinking the older lynx cutters which I believe they call them enduracut now. That is why I pointed to the Enduracut.

Lynx, Panther. Its a cat.

Sorry about that. I do have a panther that I did get for about $500 with no software.

*spank ........................ lol

maximumsign

Why would you pay $25k for a used printer and cutter when you can call sign warehouse and buy a printer and cutter with all the software for around $10k. You would have to spend another $2k on a laminator. Your still way under $25k. Just my input.

AUTO-FX

Why would you pay $25k for a used printer and cutter when you can call sign warehouse and buy a printer and cutter with all the software for around $10k. You would have to spend another $2k on a laminator. Your still way under $25k. Just my input.

uhh, check those numbers again

maximumsign

My bad I was thinking about an ad I saw yesterday it was for a used printer and cutter for around $8k. Still if you do some checking around you can buy a 48" printer for around $9 new cutter for around $4 new laminator $2 you still around 15 or 16 with warenty on everything. Im looking at there catalog and going by what they have listed on ebay. $25k will get you in the business with brand new equipment with a little cash left over. Again just my input.

Ruthietoons1

Sorry for not replying earlier. I got a messa ge today saying that she could do 15K for all of the equipment and supplies... Quite a bit of vinyl, printer, cutter, transfers for tees. Lexi 8 Pro, some other software with a lot of clipart, a metaza metal printer, a heat press, etc. I think that includes the one corporate sign contract she has, and maybe a bit of other biz. Any thoughts?

AUTO-FX

15k might not be bad, depending on the specifics of the equipment (you didnt mention a laminator) and the account that may or may not work with you, but honestly, are you two going to know enough about what to do with it all? Is the seller going to be around to provide any support ? If you have little experience, you may be better off buying from a dealer where you would be able to find some tech support. Printers in particular can be challenging and there is a steep learning curve. I would do some more research on output side too, not just the equipment. Good luck and best wishes.

Ruthietoons1

She said she would both support and send business my way, as well as two contracts. Of course, we haven't clarified all of that, as we were just recently discussing price of equipment. She is still learning the printer, as well, but she has the basics down. I'm not sure about a laminator--I'll ask about that. The cutter is only 24", but with the software and computer to run it, we could get a new cutter to do larger signs. I know nothing about running any of it, so having support would be really important. My partner is a pretty incredible mechanic, and I think he could do some repair as needed, with the right manuals. I know it's a different ballgame with computer issues, but anything mechanized is learnable for him. The one thing I've heard a couple of times from people that I don't think she has is the Adobe. (or is it Corel? Going from memory--have it written down somewhere.). Another thing is that the supplies are all there... I already have materials to learn on. Also some knowhow on where to order, etc. Need to get ready to go look at everything, though. It's a bit of a drive.

Ruthietoons1

Update...

Went to look at the equipment today. The Mutoh is 2 years old. The cutter (with stand and all plugins, and the dongle switch has been replaced once) and Geo Knight Swingaway press are 5 years old. She has attachments for the press for mugs, caps, etc, and a stand. Lots of vinyl, (for tees, signs, etc.) masking tape, a metal inscription machine, (Metaza Mpx 70 with display/keychains, etc.) a really long table with measurements and storage underneath (used to be a fabric shop table) tees, corner rounder, coraplast, aluminum signs, computer (5 yrs old, but capable) lots of graphic software, button machine/buttons, Yudu with inks, etc., 2 vinyl racks ,FlexiPro 8, Epson Scanner Perfection 4490 Photo, lots of t-shirt transfers ... no Corel Draw or Adobe. She wants $15K cash.

The corporate sign deals are not contract--they are bids. She said she got this year's bid... haven't seen anything in writing. It supposedly earned her about $9K profit last year. Again, haven't seen anything in writing. We're looking around a bit more before we make a decision.

What does a sign-maker, who stays fairly busy, make in a year? I realize it ranges quite a bit, depending on who you know, what you know, artistic ability, common sense, etc., but I'm wondering how realistic it is to make this into a day-job eventually. I fluctuate between high hopes and negativity. Thoughts? Stats? General sillyness?

Stealth Ryder

Went to look at the equipment today. The Mutoh is 2 years old. The cutter (with stand and all plugins, and the dongle switch has been replaced once) and Geo Knight Swingaway press are 5 years old. She has attachments for the press for mugs, caps, etc, and a stand. Lots of vinyl, (for tees, signs, etc.) masking tape, a metal inscription machine, (Metaza Mpx 70 with display/keychains, etc.) a really long table with measurements and storage underneath (used to be a fabric shop table) tees, corner rounder, coraplast, aluminum signs, computer (5 yrs old, but capable) lots of graphic software, button machine/buttons, Yudu with inks, etc., 2 vinyl racks ,FlexiPro 8, Epson Scanner Perfection 4490 Photo, lots of t-shirt transfers ... no Corel Draw or Adobe. She wants $15K cash.

The corporate sign deals are not contract--they are bids. She said she got this year's bid... haven't seen anything in writing. It supposedly earned her about $9K profit last year. Again, haven't seen anything in writing. We're looking around a bit more before we make a decision.

What does a sign-maker, who stays fairly busy, make in a year? I realize it ranges quite a bit, depending on who you know, what you know, artistic ability, common sense, etc., but I'm wondering how realistic it is to make this into a day-job eventually. I fluctuate between high hopes and negativity. Thoughts? Stats? General sillyness?

That printer is older than 2 years...