• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Partial vehicle wrapping around door edges

VinylLab

Hey guys. My name is Bret and I run a sign shop out of Lynnwood, WA. I'm new to the forum and need some help with a partial vehicle wrap I'm doing. I've tried searching and couldn't find my answer, but it's probably because I'm not searching for the right terms.

I installed some graphics on a Ford F150 and they are starting to peel at the edge of the door. At the time of installation, I cut the graphics right at the edge and used the Seal-It pen to seal the edges. Obviously it didn't work well enough.

What the best way to install the graphics so they don't peel at the door? Should I have 3/4" of overlap to fold around the edge? Is there a better glue I can use? This might sound stupid, but does clear nail polish work?

Mosh

I cut it right down the middle of the door crack, heat it up and wrap it around the door. What material are you using? That might be a good starting point.

VinylLab

Thanks guys. I used 3M IJ180CV3. This client takes his truck through car washes so that might add to the issue. I'm going to try cutting it down the center of the crack and heating it up to form it around the door edge like you mentioned.

Is the 3M vinyl I use a good product? I've tested a few different manufacturers but haven't found a good quality vinyl that's good for vehicles with slight curves at a low price point.

jtinker

Owner
Thanks guys. I used 3M IJ180CV3. This client takes his truck through car washes so that might add to the issue. I'm going to try cutting it down the center of the crack and heating it up to form it around the door edge like you mentioned.

Is the 3M vinyl I use a good product? I've tested a few different manufacturers but haven't found a good quality vinyl that's good for vehicles with slight curves at a low price point.

We used a kit we got from arlon. It was at a middle of the road price with some stellar results. Some of the hardest curves I've ever done I did with arlon. To avoid peeling from the car wash wrap from the back go to the front so your overlap doesnt get torn apart from the jets in the washer.

IMG_7617.JPG IMG_7633.JPG

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
3M IJ180CV3 is a great product and probably the most widely used. Most people either love it or hate it (think PC vs. MAC or Adobe vs. Corel)

There are a lot of things that could cause this type of failure:

First if it's a dark print and you didn't let the solvents cure out before you laminated it, the adhesive and the vinyl will be compromised and prone to failure.

If you used a calendared laminate on the cast vinyl it could cause it to shrink and pull back like that.

You have to clean the edges of the door, not just the face. You can get 3/4 of it by opening up the door and the front edge with a squeegee wrapped with a damp rag with isopropyl alcohol.

After I trim the door I will typically rub all the edges with my hand or a squeegee to make sure it is down then heat the edges with a torch and rub it down again. If you installed during the winter and couldn't leave the vehicle in overnight you should post heat the edges with a heat gun to 220 deg. The heat helps the adhesive wet out and build maximum bond. It takes up to 48 hours at 72 degrees for the adhesive to build maximum bond. If you don't post heat it the cold can shock the vinyl and break the bond.

The brushes at the car was can lift the edges. Hand washing or brushless car washes are recommended by all the vinyl manufactures.

If you did everything above and the failure is random, check for signs of abuse. People are creatures of habit and you should see marks on the paint, vinyl or both in those areas.

Best I can do without knowing your methods or seeing the vehicle.

Speedsterbeast

Make two cuts. One along each edge. Use the door as a guide for the blade, but angle the blade AWAY from the edge. It will give you just enough material to wrap it a little around the edge and will not show the metal if it's a contrasting colour.
Justin Pate's DVDs are a good start.
And yes.Clean the edges well and heat a little after it's applied

Bly

And tell the customer his warranty is void if he takes it through a car wash again.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Make two cuts. One along each edge. Use the door as a guide for the blade, but angle the blade AWAY from the edge. It will give you just enough material to wrap it a little around the edge and will not show the metal if it's a contrasting colour.
Justin Pate's DVDs are a good start.
And yes.Clean the edges well and heat a little after it's applied

+1

Here is an illustration of what Speedsterbeast is talking about. Imagine the vehicle cut in half horizontally and your looking down from the drivers side door top.

Trimming.jpg

2B

Thanks a lot. This helps a lot. Does anyone use any type of glue or sealant?

if you stay with 3M then primer 94, this does NOT work with other brands just be aware
and use sparingly, makes removal a living nightmare