• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Parting out Gerber IVB

coyote

I'm trying to figure out to do with our faithful old dinosaur....We have a IV B-still works, though It's having mechanical difficulties...would be good for parts. Also have font cards. We upgraded (finally) to Flexi. would have stuck with Gerbie, as we do mostly hand work and just run type, but it's become unreliable. I can't imagine junking something that cost the down payment on a house back in 1988 (sigh).

Carol

coyote

Hi David: I've got Palatino, Friz reg and demi, Times Bold, Times New Roman, Kauffman Connected, Eurostyle bold & bold extended, goudy bold, Goudy heavyface condensed, Comm. Script connected, Avant Garde, University Roman, Clarendon Bold, Dom Casual & General Symbols extended....also font extender and outline module....

I mostly am interested in getting the fonts that I had that I don't have on my computer- (would be happy to trade plus shipping)

I'm looking into how much IVBs are going for online..It ain't much though the font cards can go for $25 (remember when they used to cost $140?)

Mine definitely needs some mechanical work...over the years we've replaced belts, fuses, bits and pieces....something is happening with the blade holder-it stumbles and catches and I've taken it apart a million times and can't figure it out.

Any thoughts?
Carol

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
something is happening with the blade holder-it stumbles and catches and I've taken it apart a million times and can't figure it out.

Any thoughts?
Carol

That usually means either that you need a new theta belt or that you have lost the home position and need to re-home the tool head position.

coyote

Thanks, Fred: I've replaced the belt, re positioned, cleaned, fiddled and messed with it to no avail.....It is fixable, I just don't have the energy or the inclination. I've gone over to the dark side and purchased Flexi and a small Graphtec plotter. (love the speed and the fact that I don't have to have tons of scale drawings in my file cabinet (slowly pen-plotted). What I do miss, however, is the ability to run a whole roll of 12" type without worrying about the material going off track. Sprockets make for dead-straight feeding and ease of inserting the vinyl roll.

I'm also hoping to hook up my laptop, throw everything in the car and hit the marinas this summer to do some boat lettering.

Having said that: That IVB gave us almost 20 years of faithful service. We've replaced almost everything that can be replaced on it, never had to send it to the factory for service....

I might try again to rebuild it....just lack time and inclination right now. It's amazing how much we were able to do with 16 fonts!

That would make for an interesting poll: How many fonts do we really use?
Carol