• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paying it forward - with the help of my sign friends

Bigdawg

Just Me
Some of you know me and some of the newcomers probably don't. While my husband was sick, I didn't get online here a lot. But about 4 years ago - before the days of gofundme or the like - I was blessed to be helped by my sign friends here at Signs 101. You guys allowed me to be able to cover my bills while my husband was sick and I had to take care of him. Something that I couldn't have done on my own. A fair part of the money went to buy him a motorized chair. Which he - being the real Bigdawg - decked out because he couldn't stand to have anything that was "stock." It gave him freedom - the ability to run to the store down the road, or run over to Lowes for a part for his next project. Both close places, but too far to walk for someone who's heart was fading quickly. The neighborhood was used to seeing him running this way or that in it - often with one of our (adult) kids trying to keep up. It added so much to his life - there's no way to put that into words.

Before he died last September... he asked me to find someone to give it to after he passed. Someone that would appreciate it. Someone who was too young to need it, but did anyway. Someone who couldn't buy one their self. He wanted to make sure it helped someone else who was stuck like we were when y'all stepped in.

I wanted to share what happened with the chair. When Jeff died, I gave it to someone who loved the races, but couldn't get around any more. A friend of a friend that was in real need. So the chair got to see another Daytona and Homestead races - just what Jeff wanted. It helped someone else have a quality at the end of their life that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Unfortunately that gentleman passed away earlier this year.

But the story doesn't end there. The chair has gone to someone else who needs it. A friend that has had diabetic issues, and just can't get around much anymore. Someone else who knows where it came from and will appreciate it and take care of it in readiness for the next person that needs it when they shouldn't. And I don't think it will end there.

I wanted you guys to know that the help you gave one family has spread to impact at least three family's lives. Three men that would have been stuck home, feeling like everything was taken away from them. Instead, you guys gave them all a chance to live life just a little better. That's why I am proud to be part of this online community and can honestly say - sign people are the best :loveya:

TammieH

Beautiful, bought me back to when my daddy had a stroke, crying....its a wonderful thing you and people from here did...gives one hope

ddarlak

Go Bills!
That's cool! It's like that chair is taking on a life of its own, taking with it the lives of it's passengers...

Marlene

what would be wonderful is if this was the first in a line of "Jeff's chairs" that people could use when they need one and continue to change people's lives. what a wonderful foundation that would be!!

Bigdawg

Just Me
what would be wonderful is if this was the first in a line of "Jeff's chairs" that people could use when they need one and continue to change people's lives. what a wonderful foundation that would be!!

That is such a cool idea. I don't know the first thing about something like that - but I'm going to find out. Thanks Marlene!

Marlene

That is such a cool idea. I don't know the first thing about something like that - but I'm going to find out. Thanks Marlene!

we have had customers come for signs after something bad happened in their lives and they've started foundations. one of them is Emma's Fund for canine cancer. I can post a link to thme on facebook for you. they also might be a source to chat with on how to start and I know they would be more than willing give you any pointers that they can as they are that kind of people. this wonderful couple lost their dog to cancer and while this was happening they noticed people going thru the same thing who couldn't afford the vet bills. they started a group and off they went doing good for others. making someone else's life easier in Jeff's memory sounds like something that would work for you as you are such a wonderful caring person

Suz

Love your story, Jeff lives on! :) You are so great to post this and it was a very positive thing to read!