• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PDF and Illustrator

So I had a customer send me a PDF file and when I open it in Illustrator and Adobe Reader, it shows two different versions. Anyone have this problem before?

Attachments

• KDK.JPG
    KDK.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 257

Dan360

You're looking at page 2 in acrobat, did you open page 2? Might want to check the layers.

Go to file>place, place the document then click on it and hit embed on the top menu bar.

I don't think this is something that can actually happen lol, but I may be wrong.

AKwrapguy

It looks like they sent you a PDF with two images. I Illustrator you have to choose which one you want to open.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Were fonts converted when the pdf was created? "Place" in illustrator as suggested will convert the fonts. Sometimes if you don't have the fonts it'll come in "jacked up"

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Is everything vector art? If so and you're using Acrobat Pro you can save as eps.
We never send proofs in vector format. The form can be vector but the actual artwork will be png.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The vector Dr had a thread that explains this process but I couldn't find it so here is a link;
How can I open a PDF in illustrator and convert text with a missing font into outlines
This used to work but not so much any more.
Maybe it is just files with images in the background but I get this error message more often than not:
linked.jpg

When I click the embed option the missing font message pops up and we are right back to square 1.

embed.jpg

Surprisingly when I import the same file into my old but trusted CorelDraw X5 and ask it to convert the fonts to paths on import...it does.
corel-1000.jpg

Providing further proof of the '1000 times faster than AI' theorem.
wayne k
guam usa

tulsagraphics

When I click the embed option the missing font message pops up and we are right back to square 1.

When using "Flatten Transparency" on a linked file -- make sure "Convert All Text to Outlines" is checked.

Attachments

• flatten-transparency.JPG
    flatten-transparency.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 223

tulsagraphics

Also, when opening a multi-page PDF... it's usually best to create a new document, then use File > Place and select "Show Import Options". You can only open a single page from a multi-page PDF when using this method (it will give you the option to navigate each page with thumbnails previews / page numbers prior to import), but this will preserve the file "linking" option, after which you can use Flatten Transparency, as mentioned in my post above.

Attachments

• file-place.JPG
    file-place.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 197

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Opening customer provided PDFs can often be a crap shoot, even if the PDF was generated by Adobe Illustrator. There's lots of things the person creating the PDF can do to mess up things.

It's no big deal at all to convert fonts embedded in a PDF to outlines. That's easy. Just place the PDF into a new document, making sure you check "link" when placing the file. Then go the "flatten transparency" dialog box. Make sure to check "convert fonts to outlines" and pull that quality bar on vectors to 100%.

The other stuff involved with opening PDF artwork is the harder part. Lots of people will save .AI files without PDF compatibility to conserve on file size. The same thing goes with creating PDFs from Illustrator artwork. By default the option to preserve Illustrator editing capability is turned on. But you can save a good bit on file size by un-checking that box. Doing so comes at a pretty big cost for anyone trying to import the PDF. Such artwork may feature lots of objects contained in clipping masks or even clipping groups within clipping groups. Some fills and effects may be converted to raster format rather than vector. I'll sometimes resort to that stunt when saving password protected PDFs to give to customers. A rival sign company wanting to re-purpose that artwork would have some cheese grater on the forehead work to do cleaning up the artwork if they got past the password barrier. Most applications not Adobe-branded that can generate PDFs will default to every trick in the book to minimize file sizes. And that means creating PDFs that can be a real pain to import and edit.

Unless you're working with CorelDRAW X8 or later, Corel is going to be suspect at importing any PDF artwork generated by Adobe Illustrator or really anything else for that matter. Preview the PDF in Adobe Reader or Acrobat DC to get an idea of how the artwork is supposed to look. Then try importing it. Complex fills featuring gradients and levels of transparency are going to be tricky. If the application that generated the PDF made use of certain third party plug-ins that could complicate the situation.

I use Astute Graphics' Vector First Aid plug-in from time to time when importing PDF-based artwork. It's not a perfect solution, but it does cut way down on all the clipping mask objects and clipping groups. There will be less to look at and fix in the hierarchical objects tree within the layers panel.

tulsagraphics

I use Astute Graphics' Vector First Aid plug-in from time to time when importing PDF-based artwork. It's not a perfect solution, but it does cut way down on all the clipping mask objects and clipping groups. There will be less to look at and fix in the hierarchical objects tree within the layers panel.
Agreed. First Aid definitely helps.

Andy_warp

All of this fudgery and converting is great for this art. DON'T try to do it with anything more complex. All of the "flattening" and save as eps stuff can throw color in a bucket.

It's always best to just get the file in the format the art was created in. Period. It usually takes less time than diffusing the pdf bomb. And...no wondering if it's right.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I definitely agree with getting a copy of the artwork in its original, native format. If it was created in Adobe Illustrator it's best to get a copy of the original .AI file (but with the fonts included or all type converted to outlines). The same goes for files created in CorelDRAW. Our shop uses both Corel and Adobe CC, so that makes it easy.