• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pdf issues

jilx

Im hoping someone has a solotion to my pdf file issues. Occasionally customers submit pdf files for printing. I view the image @100% to check for clarity, then I go into print. 50% of the time I print pdf files it prints a square box around text and/or images. I know the problem, but is there a solution before printing? Any advice helps if there is any.

Sign Eagle

We have had that problem using Flexi 8.6. fairly frequently. The way we get around it is to open all incoming PDF files using Photoshop and save as a Photoshop file and then open it in Flexi. Never have a problem doing it that way.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Once the pdf is in the production manager check the rendering intents under the "Advanced" tab in the color management section.
If they are different between vector and bitmap objects that interact with each other via transparency you will get those ghosted boxes showing up.
Set the intents to the same mode and they will go away.

wayne k
guam usa

Custom_Grafx

I have run into similar problems. It's sometimes (or most times) the way the RIP interprets objects with transparency. Sometimes flattening presets can solve your problem. As a last resort, in acrobat pro, I will go into preflight mode and optimise the pdf for digital printing. This has always worked for me, even on the most difficult of files.

toli13

Another way is printing from Acrobat to the RIP. I regularly use this instead of loading a pdf dirctly into the RIP. Wasatch for example has massive problems with interpretation of transparencies.
Tilo

renaldas22

I have the same issue with flexi production manager. Usually I open file in photoshop save as jpg and print with production manager. Always works. U just have to choose appropriate resolution depending on image details and print size. I never go more than 300 dpi and in most cases do 100 dpi.

slopoke

I've been having the same problem with Wasatch as well. I usually use Acrobat to re-export as an eps, so far that has fixed every file.

jilx

I have tried saving pdf files as other files in photoshop, but that is usually the case after the final output since I wasnt able to see the problem before. The annoying thing is the time photoshop takes to render a pdf, but yes it works. Ill try to view and set the intents as the same mode and see how that works.
Much appreciated...

toli13

To convert a pdf into a jpg or tiff is probably not the best way as you loose the ability to set different rendering intents for vector and raster elements in the RIP. I think, this should be only a compromise solution. Printing from Acrobat or export to eps seems the better way to me.
Btw, Wasatch announced, that their December version of Softprint 6.7 has enhanced pdf capabilities. Anyone checked that?
Tilo

jens

these are transparancy problems, try to flatten your pdf i think that was pdf version 1.3
you also have to look at the input profiles and rendering intents in the RIP.

signswi

The OPs problems are probably transparency flattening issues, there are a number of work arounds but it depends on the RIP. Converting/preflighting to a PDF standard in Acrobat is a good place to start (I prefer x-4). Onyx is quite good at PDFs now if anyone is looking for a RIP product for a PDF based workflow. I'd also recommend Pitstop Pro for preflight checking, Acrobat Pro is good but Pitstop adds quite a bit of capability.