Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pdf problems..

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by rushworks graphics, Aug 23, 2011.

1. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    i'm using illi cs3 and was sent a .pdf from a new client with there art work. i opened the .pdf but i don't have the font available in cs3 so it substituted the font.

is there anyway at all when i open a .pdf file that i can make sure the fonts etc don't get substituted? sorry if this is a really stupid question! i have only been using illi and ps for just about a year now so am still getting to grips with them.

apart from manually substituting the font for the right one, if you can find what it is called, is there any other way?

i actually downloaded a trail for illi cs5 last night in the hopes that it would have more/newer fonts and maybe it would be in that version....but wasn't.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I always have people convert text to outlines (create outlines). Even if it turns out I already have the font I ask everyone to do that just in case.

3. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    oh ok.....see......learning, learning....! normally is we have a designer send us files i would ask them to convert text to outlines as wildwest says, but thi swas a file from a client who had it on disc from awhile ago...

4. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    After I typed that, I was thinking that might be might have been the case.

I honestly don't know why quite a few designers don't convert text to curves (outlines) when the file goes to the client. Unless those designers don't really have anything to do with the files with regard to print/embroidery etc like some of us do.

5. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    yeah, whenever we send stuff to designers or need to out source a print we always convert text to curves......

6. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    You can "place" the .pdf and the text comes through, then you can expand transparency and the font will be converted to curves... there is a step by step on the site.

7. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
  8. Sideshow

Sideshow Member

Aug 15, 2010
    not to sound stupid, but why not just search / DL the font, install it then you have a new font to use as well?

9. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I sent him a clean file using the method Rick referenced above... I use that A LOT!

10. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I have a font addiction already. If I did that to everyone that I didn't have, but liked my computer would be bogged down with fonts.

11. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The file contains two fonts: Helvetica Neue Light and Ultra Light embedded in TrueType format. From experience I can reply that I have never used the Ultra Light version of this font and rarely used the Light version in the 20 years I've owned them. So why would anyone want to add $58 to the cost of the job when all the original designer had to do was convert to outlines before saving the file.

12. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    stacey is awesome!! ............ yeah, i had origanally thought to just download the font. i had actually asked for the font id last night and was told what it was, but had problems getting the right one. of course i can buy it, but, started thinking there had to be some way of getting either the font or "lines" to come through when getting sent a .pdf file, and there does seem to be just that method!

thanks to all you guys for showing me how to do it etc, and thanks again ms bigdawg for jumping on that for me!!

13. Sideshow

Sideshow Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I just asked.

Ive never had to search for a font, having over 20K on a HDD has ensured that. I was just asking.

And if you got it from a client..the statement "all the original designer had to do was convert to outlines" is moot if the person has no clue what that is, why it should be done...

14. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Me too, I wanna buy Vector Doctor a corn dog for posting that one... saved me a ton in time and money...

15. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    MMMMMMMM had me a corn dog earlier this year at the Ohio State Fair. Had to pass on the burgers that used Krispy Kreme donuts for buns