• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pdf problems..

i'm using illi cs3 and was sent a .pdf from a new client with there art work. i opened the .pdf but i don't have the font available in cs3 so it substituted the font.

is there anyway at all when i open a .pdf file that i can make sure the fonts etc don't get substituted? sorry if this is a really stupid question! i have only been using illi and ps for just about a year now so am still getting to grips with them.

apart from manually substituting the font for the right one, if you can find what it is called, is there any other way?

i actually downloaded a trail for illi cs5 last night in the hopes that it would have more/newer fonts and maybe it would be in that version....but wasn't.

Attachments

• NaturalBeauties_Logo1.pdf
    868.2 KB · Views: 122

WildWestDesigns

I always have people convert text to outlines (create outlines). Even if it turns out I already have the font I ask everyone to do that just in case.

oh ok.....see......learning, learning....! normally is we have a designer send us files i would ask them to convert text to outlines as wildwest says, but thi swas a file from a client who had it on disc from awhile ago...

WildWestDesigns

oh ok.....see......learning, learning....! normally is we have a designer send us files i would ask them to convert text to outlines as wildwest says, but thi swas a file from a client who had it on disc from awhile ago...

After I typed that, I was thinking that might be might have been the case.

I honestly don't know why quite a few designers don't convert text to curves (outlines) when the file goes to the client. Unless those designers don't really have anything to do with the files with regard to print/embroidery etc like some of us do.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You can "place" the .pdf and the text comes through, then you can expand transparency and the font will be converted to curves... there is a step by step on the site.

Sideshow

not to sound stupid, but why not just search / DL the font, install it then you have a new font to use as well?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
not to sound stupid, but why not just search / DL the font, install it then you have a new font to use as well?

The file contains two fonts: Helvetica Neue Light and Ultra Light embedded in TrueType format. From experience I can reply that I have never used the Ultra Light version of this font and rarely used the Light version in the 20 years I've owned them. So why would anyone want to add $58 to the cost of the job when all the original designer had to do was convert to outlines before saving the file.

stacey is awesome!! ............ yeah, i had origanally thought to just download the font. i had actually asked for the font id last night and was told what it was, but had problems getting the right one. of course i can buy it, but, started thinking there had to be some way of getting either the font or "lines" to come through when getting sent a .pdf file, and there does seem to be just that method!

thanks to all you guys for showing me how to do it etc, and thanks again ms bigdawg for jumping on that for me!!

Sideshow

I just asked.

Ive never had to search for a font, having over 20K on a HDD has ensured that. I was just asking.

And if you got it from a client..the statement "all the original designer had to do was convert to outlines" is moot if the person has no clue what that is, why it should be done...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I sent him a clean file using the method Rick referenced above... I use that A LOT!

Me too, I wanna buy Vector Doctor a corn dog for posting that one... saved me a ton in time and money...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
MMMMMMMM had me a corn dog earlier this year at the Ohio State Fair. Had to pass on the burgers that used Krispy Kreme donuts for buns