• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pen tool question

ok i have a customer that needs 4200sqft of large panel templates drawn onto paper. i have never used the pen tool on my fc7000-160, in fact i dont even have a pen tool. do i just need to buy a pen stick it in and go? i have no clue how this works. any help or advise would be great, thanks.

cgsigns_jamie

I do patterns all the time. I just use a Sharpie with some masking tape around the grip. Works like a charm and is much less than the "pen tool"

P

ProWraps™

our fc7000 came with a pen tool. dont sharpie it. lame. the tool probably cost $5. it goes in the blade holder. hell ill send you ours to use. god knows we've never used it.

Sign_Boy

I want to use mine to make big coloring books - color by number.
OOPS now you all are going to do it

wow the sharpie worked great. but i am still going to order the correct pen.

tecdady did you check out my link? im not sure if i need the "pen adapter" or just the pens. my cutter didnt come with any pens.

P

ProWraps™

if it came with a pen holder, it would have come with the pen.

Sign_Boy

Probably just the pens, it should drop in where you put the blade. Same holder
Take the blade holder out and drop in the pen.

i was just about to ebay this cutter then a guy called and wants to start off with 4200 sqft of drawings and they need to be 60" wide. very simple templates. i told him $.15 persqft he's buying the pens, w/next day shipping and all of the paper. he's also providing the artwork and will have possibly 20-30 more 200 sqft jobs.

Sign_Boy

Keep an eye on the paper it tends to wrinkle real easy.
Mind if I ask how you came up with .15 per square?

fastcut

Wondering about the paper to do this on. I have seen the stuff from suppliers...BUT can you use craft paper from an art supply store? I have often thought about doing stuff for grade school kids as class projects. Even homecoming/sports banners that high school kids can paint on.

$.15
well the customer wanted to keep the cost at $100 per unit and that broke down to about .133 cents per ft so i told him $.15 and he was good with that. i beleive i will have a good profit margin, considering he is suppling the pens and the paper. that leaves me spending nothing but time.

flyinhawaiian968

For simple stuff that really doesn't require good paper, I have a roll of 30" white butcher paper. Works well with my Roland CX300 and I don't get any wrinkling. I slow the unit down a lot though, or pull the entire length of paper I need to draw off the roll, as the roll is way too heavy for the machine to pull it off on its own.

IIRC, the roll from my local sign supply was around 100 bucks, and I think its a thousand feet, the roll has got to be at least 18" round!!!

Chris