• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perf cutting info?

Gene@mpls

Is anyone actually using this feature [we have a GR540] effectively? Do you weed the vinyl first and then perf it and tear it apart? I guess we are just looking at more professional looking product. We do not do a lot of small decals but it is unavoidable to do some for regular customers who have value. Thanks Gene

unclebun

Although I've had a cutter capable of perf cutting for over 13 years, I have only had one job that it was useful for, and that job wasn't for decals. We cut decals by hand, even in quantities of many hundreds. It's fast, you can get very good at it, and you can make the decals very square and same size if you work out how to do that. They also make machines for making straight cuts that are very useful as well. Either one will pay for itself many times over compared to the time you will waste getting the perf cutting set up and working right and reprinting decals that got ruined because a perfed piece came loose and jammed everything up.

Gene@mpls

Thanks- that has always been what I expected to be the case without trying it. I sold the biz but still do consulting, I used to punch out the round [Roland] registration marks and stack several sheets and cut them with a straight edge.

The rollers on our graphtec slip on the silicone liner too much, so we can't cut after we weed. So we cut the vinyl, Perf .1" from the cut vinyl edge, then we weed the vinyl. 90% of the .1" strip comes off with the weeding. Then we punch the decals out. If you punch the decals without weeding you will have a lot that have the .1" of vinyl come off with them.