• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

perforated vinyl install

Berferful

I installed my first perforated vinyl on the back window of my own Jeep Liberty. With the advice from this forum, I laminated the vinyl after printing. I installed wet using rapid tac. It's 24 hours later, and my view from inside is transluscent at best. Will this cloudiness go away with more time or should I reinstall without the rapid tac?

Thanks

ProWraps

ouch. the holes with lam will trap the moisture and it will never look right. remove, reprint, reinstall dry. never lay perf wet. or any grey adhesive vehicle wrap materials wet.

yep ProWraps has it...this one's a do over
regarding grey adhesive materials wet...there is some new products in the works.

in fact Pro why dont you pm me your mailing address you would be a good product tester in this area if you are interested.

+1 From what the others have said. Optically Clear Laminate, and dry installation.
Nothing to be worried about with installing these things dry - treat it like any other dry app. This stuff will be nice and thick, and lay really nice dry.

Mosh

You need to lam or dirt fills the holes up. Do it dry, wet app is for newbies....

mark in tx

Quick question, if you don't laminate it can you do a wet install?

Yes. But, it's really not needed, unlaminated perf is very easy to install dry, you have to be careful you don't tear it.
Also remember that rain will fill up those holes, so you can't see through it.

Biker Scout

Actually, something interesting happens when you get window perf wet... it becomes brittle and easily tearable. Like on a warm day, or warm glass, the vinyl is very plyable and easy to manipulate. As soon as you cool it down and get it wet, it becomes harder to work with.

However, I learned a trick a long time ago... if you find yourself in a situation where your helper (extra pair of hands) leaves you stranded and you've got 32 sq. ft. of perforated vinyl draped over your head and arms, with the backing already peeled off... (and this is not a laminated install at a business) you can actually use Invisible Glass to aide in the intallation. Not the foaming kind, but the kind in the pump bottle. Nice thing about Invisible Glass is there's no ammonia in it to mess with the adhesive, and it evaporates out of the holes pretty quickly.

But dry is the preferred method of installation of Window Perf... it's actually one of the easiest products to install.

Artildawn

I'm just curious, because you said based on advice from this forum. I've never seen anyone recommend a wet install of perf. Care to cite your source?

Berferful

Easy Arti!! Re- read the post

I'm just curious, because you said based on advice from this forum. I've never seen anyone recommend a wet install of perf. Care to cite your source?

Laminating the perf was from the forum, not the install. My rookie mistake.

DIGITAL360

You dont need to use wet app to install perf. that material is so forgiving. dont create a mess for yourself. as far as laminating if you use opti clear laminating film it will create a blur when looking from the inside out. if you use liquid laminate dont over spray it cause it will clog up the holes.

S

scarface

Yep, install it dry. Perf is honestly the easiest stuff to install. Did my first a few months back and it was effortless.

Mader Design

I'm still trying to figure out why you would wet app install? Theres no way for the water to evaporate out of the holes since the vinyl is sealing it inside against the window. As others said, it lays down against the window so nice that wet app isn't necessary.

quicksigns

Why would you apply Perforated material wet? You only apply wet if there would be "trap" bubbles. I don't think bubbles will be trap in a vinyl that is half filled with holes.