• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Perforated Window Film For The Unexperienced

SignShopGal

SignShopGal
Hello,

So, I have been reading, watching some videos, but I still have some general questions and I know the experts here have amazing brains filled with helpful knowledge about this type of sign making. I do make signs, I have plenty of vinyl experience, large format printed signs.

I have never printed on a perforated window film. We do have a Roland SP540-v, using ECO-SOL MAX. The window graphic my company wants me to try to do is going to be placed on our business building, 10'x 6' size on the biggest and 3'x10' on the others.

Where is a good place to start? Can I use my eco sol inks on a perf film? Am I crazy to do this? Should I hire out?

What I think I need (I claim to know very little):
-80/20 perf film
-uv overlam
-edge sealer
-heat gun
?-squeegee (dont know what type, hardness etc-I have hard plastic)
?-roller (I use brayers to apply flat sign graphics & vinyl
addition:
-ladder
-2 strapping tall men, dark, handsome

Thank you for your help!
-Sign Shop Gal

floater302

I print alot of 50/50, yes laminate it i never seal the edge for the reason it wont be up over a year in must applications. and depending how much light you want in or how much you want to see out for the 80/20

oksigns

you need to ask yourself how long you want this to last.

no need for a heat gun...

do you have a rep you can talk to from a local supplier? those are always good local resources and glean samples from.

you also need to be mindful of surface temperatures.

oh.. there is a technique. while perf is forgiving, especially laminated, handling larger panels can be a pain if you don't have good technique and a helper.

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
Eco Sol is fine on perf film. I used to print on it all the time with a Roland VP540i at my old shop. We didn't laminate most perfs unless they were going to be up for an extended period of time. The customer we did them for the most usually switched them every 90 days or so so we didn't bother.

klmiller611

One thing I ran into with window perf was the ink was almost too flexible, and did not break out of the perf holes like it should, making for a real mess, which, of course, I did not know until we actually went to put it up. I'd suggest getting a sample roll if possible, and test before I committed to making it happen.

Best
Ken

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hello,

So, I have been reading, watching some videos, but I still have some general questions and I know the experts here have amazing brains filled with helpful knowledge about this type of sign making. I do make signs, I have plenty of vinyl experience, large format printed signs.

I have never printed on a perforated window film. We do have a Roland SP540-v, using ECO-SOL MAX. The window graphic my company wants me to try to do is going to be placed on our business building, 10'x 6' size on the biggest and 3'x10' on the others.

Where is a good place to start? Can I use my eco sol inks on a perf film? Am I crazy to do this? Should I hire out?

What I think I need (I claim to know very little):
-80/20 perf film
-uv overlam
-edge sealer
-heat gun
?-squeegee (dont know what type, hardness etc-I have hard plastic)
?-roller (I use brayers to apply flat sign graphics & vinyl
addition:
-ladder
-2 strapping tall men, dark, handsome

Thank you for your help!
-Sign Shop Gal

Well just give me a call, I do a lot of perf business, especially in here. I have a branch in SLC and I carry 80/20, 60/40, 70/30, 50/50, Holographic, Non-Adhesive, Clear. (Just don't cut it with a laser cutter) 714-878-7989 I'm Josh

SignShopGal

SignShopGal
you need to ask yourself how long you want this to last.

no need for a heat gun...

do you have a rep you can talk to from a local supplier? those are always good local resources and glean samples from.

you also need to be mindful of surface temperatures.

oh.. there is a technique. while perf is forgiving, especially laminated, handling larger panels can be a pain if you don't have good technique and a helper.

Heat: yes, temps in St George, UT reach up and sometimes over 112 F in the summer, these will be permanently in the windows, once they are up, they are up unless the boss changes his mind or wants something added later.

papabud

Lone Wolf
applying the perf is the biggest task. you need to use a very soft or felt squeegee. work side to side with over lapping slow soft strokes.
since your doing it on a flat surface it should be easy if you just relax, breath and take it one step at a time. dont for it or you will cause yourself problems.
order enough that you can redo the install on one of the windows 3 times.... practice and all you know.