• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Permit specs for new brick facade on concrete foundation?

mnapuran

I have a customer building a new building and they want 2 non-lit signs done, both brick facade on concrete foundation.

We've done signs on these structures before, which was easy to permit,etc. But they want us to do the permit request and have the structures built, etc as "the sign company".

Any recommendations or example permit specs, etc? Thanks

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't know if I understand you correctly, what is the actual "structure" they want you to build/permit?

mnapuran

They want us to permit the "sign", but that includes the concrete pad and the brick structure that the sign will be attached to.

equippaint

I would think that you will need an engineer to draw all of this or if you can draw it all then just have an engineer review and stamp it. Id also assume that you will need a site plan to show where the sign will go or at the very least a current survey. Then go to the city and get a permit application which should have a list of everything that you may need to submit with it. I don't think this is something that you can do 100% on your own. If this isn't something you plan on doing much of, you'd probably be better off having a contractor do the structure and you do the sign.

Billct2

Your client wants you to handle the whole project, so you are acting as the "General Contractor". Get a mason to provide the specs, get the permits and build the base. Then you do the permit for the sign. And add the cost of your time for doing the legwork.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So it might help to get the terminology correct...

Looks like you need to make a "Monument Sign" or what most municipalities call, "Ground Sign"

First thing is look up what you are allowed to have - most sign codes will dictate the square footage based on the linear footage or acreage of the project. It should also stipulate your height allowance and placement(s)

Then comes designing... concrete and brick does not help when defining what you need... What's the budget? Are there materials on the project you can go off of? Is there a certain architectural style you can get cues from? Will it have a cap, a base or pilaster(s) Will it be square? Curved top? What about the cement finish - smooth trowel, acid washed or exposed aggregate? What are your construction skills? If you are subbing this out... are you allowed to? (I think in Texas, you are allowed) If subbing it out, what are the sub-contractors skills. Does it have to be concrete/block/brick?

Options for this type of sign are...
Concrete Pad with mowstrip reinforced with re-bar - Concrete Block with re-bar tried into the base clad with project brick.
Concrete Pad with mowstrip reinforced with re-bar - Poured in place concrete vertical panel with re-bar tried into the base clad with project brick.
Concrete Pad with mowstrip reinforced with re-bar and mounting post(s) - Aluminum Cabinet mounted to posts, exterior rated cement sheeting - (WonderBoard NOT Hardie-Board) attached to face, clad with project brick.

Once you have it designed, Does it require engineering? Usually anything over 6' require a wet stamp engineer drawing set, but you might want to ask your city.

If it were me, I would hire a sign designer to design the sign who knows construction of this type of sign or a masonry company with design sensibilities and knowledge of the Sign Code. Then send out the bid drawing for masonry companies to bid on, getting at least 3 bids - making sure the company is capable of building the thing. Maybe you still have to permit it the structure, but making them responsible may be better - but may add to your costs. Also who will be responsible for DigAlert or issues if any utilities are damaged.

If the design is already done... have a masonry company or sign designer knowledgable with permit submittals to prepare the proper documents. Too many variables to use a "stock" monument drawing.

Last edited:

ams

This is very easy to do, most cities/counties I've dealt with will only need the basic information. Just do a simple mock up showing the width, length, depth of the concrete structure, overall measurements of the entire sign and how you are going to anchor it. Never hurts to put 3,000 PSI concrete. Use google images and search "Monument Sign Diagram" and you will see a lot of examples. Some of these are overkill, but you get the idea.