• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Phase converter recommendations

Eric H

I am looking for phase converter recommendations for the 10 hp vacuum pump that comes with the Gerber sabre routers. Thanks

CreatedDesigns

I use a single phase to 3 phase freq drive to run my exhaust wall fan. depending on your application you can do the same as long as it is motor related. But you cannot power a machine that way.

Eric H

Thought someone on here might have first hand experience with them. Tried doing research on my own but I'm not getting clear answers. Guess I need to start contacting some companies.

fixtureman

the company I cut for uses one to run their compressor. My father had one in his greenhouse to run a 15 HP water pump and a 10 hp motor on his boiler. my father depended on his for that was his business and needed it to make his living. both work very well

Eric H

Trying to find out more specifics. Static vs. Rotary, what HP etc. Some places recommend one over the other, been told one type will work and one won't for both of them. Through my own research looks like I would do a 25 HP rotary, but would like some kind of conformation. The more I look the more confused I get.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Wow.. 10 to 25 hp is big!

We have a 5 hp solid state single to 3 phase inverter here- but it wants to be connected directly to the motor it is to drive, and is a soft-start.
It also will NOT start a delta wound motor (or is it a star wound motor) one of the other anyhow.
It was about $360 on fleabay... from China, but sold by a local company.

We have a rotary converter we bought 10 years ago - a finished box, with processor-controlled capacitor banks inside.
It runs the spindle on the cnc router - only a 3hp unit.
It's great, but getting tired and sometimes won't switch on.
It cost $2200. Made by a company about 1800 km south of here.

I build a rotary converter 10 months ago, and it's great. 5 hp.
It started life as a static converter- but there was too much heat, noise and losses, although it did technically 'work'.
So I added an idler, and retweaked the capacitors, and it was better- then I added a 2nd idler, and it was even better again.
More testing and re-evaluating, and pulling to pieces and rebuilding it better...
We run the big drill press and metal lathe on it.
The learning curve in building it was tremendous, as was the time spent tweaking and testing various capacitor values for optimal balance on the phases.

BUT... it won't start something easily (or at all) if the switchgear takes its control current from a generated phase, instead of from the original active phase...

I'm going to add a third idler motor in parallel soon - the more you add in, for a while, the more efficient it actually gets. That principle takes some getting used to. When I first turn it on, it's drawing 11.5 amps from the mains.
Then after turning on the 2nd idler, it drops to 5.5 amps draw. When you then turn on the machine you intend to use, the current draw is finally around 4.3 amps, or 1 kw and that changes mildly as you use it.
A few hours running and it's not even warm.

The static converter-the original one - would get uncomfortably warm in 7-10 minutes.

And we have a 3 phase gen-set, diesel, for the bigger needs.

I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable running a 10 to 25 hp motor via a static unit- but then it should work - but a rotary one would be better - you might well need a starter motor though, to help get it spinning. Also, you won't get 5 hp from a 5 hp motor, if using a static or rotary unit - expect losses of 1/3 or so.

Hope this helps...!

netsol

choosing a phase convertor

this is not a good place to use a chinese knock off. there are lots of advantages to 3 phase motors. they run cooler, can start under loaded repeatedly, are incredibly reliable.

a cheap phase convertor can lead to poor reliability and repeated motor failure (down time, and rebuilding expense)

i haven't done yhis in years, but we always relied on add a phase, one of the first names in the business. they are very reliable units. i haven't needed one in years, so i'm not sure how often they turn up on ebay

http://www.ronkelectrical.com/add-a-phase.php

rjssigns

May want to check into a variable frequency drive. Or it may be more cost effective by going single phase. You may need more than one, but it could make for a more efficient system.

What you want to look for is a ring blower or regenerative blower since that is what you have.