• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photocell sensor not working

T_K

I have a Drytac Jet Mounter JM63 Pro. I think it's been at the company for about a year and a half, maybe two. So I leave for a long weekend and come back to the "Photocell" light blinking red, showing a blockage error. I try troubleshooting all the way down to removing the laminate and print that I was trying to run. No good, light keeps blinking red. I called Drytac customer service, and the tech suggested I could try adjusting the sensor placement, otherwise, I might need to buy a new sensor set. I tried adjusting it but nothing happened.

My big question is does anyone know how to bypass the photocell so that I can keep my production line moving?

ams

I've never heard of using a photocell on equipment like that. I suggest replacing it with a new one. Bypassing it could lead to larger issues down the road.

T_K

It's a safety measure to keep your hands or other objects out of the rollers. If something breaks the beam, the machine stops. Right now, there's nothing breaking the beam, but it is still indicating that there's a problem. We have an electrical hardware engineer in another department who took a look at it, but she couldn't really figure anything out without trying to reverse engineer the thing. So I've gone ahead and ordered the replacement. It's just frustrating to be at a standstill on multiple print projects while waiting on the part.

MikePro

you should be able to bypass it. nothing complicated about these sensors, its really just a switch. and these laminators are really just a start/stop motor with rollers & manual pressure adjustment.

bypass it electronically, by clipping a pair of wires from the sensor array and joining them, while you order a new one... keep your fingertips out of the rollers :)

T_K

Just thought I'd give an update on this. After being unsuccessful in trying to bypass the photocell, I finally bought a new one. After the install was complete, the machine worked fine. No further problems.

MikePro

just thought i would give an update on this as well... after recently having the same problem myself, and realizing there's no simple-way to "bypass" it as I suggested years ago.... I found on another thread, that all you have to do is turn the dial all the way clockwise on both laser & receiver
aaaand VOILA! we're off & running again! thanks KW!

open the receiver side safety eye all the way clockwise.....this is the eye the light is NOT emitted from....small flathead screw slot on the eye itself.....this machine has used two types of eyes in its history but both work the same way......