• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoprint is driving me crazy!

neil_se

Our HP supplier provided Photoprint as their workflow solution when I bought an FB500 and L26500 to complement my Roland XC540s (actually they installed SAI Pixelblaster first but that was abysmal). When I had problems with Pixelblaster I was about to pull the trigger on Caldera but our supplier wanted me to try Photoprint because: 1. They supply it, and 2. They've got an extensive range of custom Flexi/Photoprint profiles to suit their media. I'm having more problems than I can keep track of, surely not everyone has it this bad?

Generally: The nesting algorithm is just horendous. I've attached a few pics of irrational nesting: leaving gaps where a page should be fitted, randomly jumbling even sized pages. And don't get me started on manual nesting, no multiple select, no automatic spacing, no group rotate. This costs me hours a week.

XC540: Besides the standard profiles being woeful, I've got an issue with printing and cutting. I can print-cut without crops, but with crops it will find the two front marks, but will search about 20mm short of the third crop and not find it. It'll work most of the time if I print on the L26500 with crops and then cut with the XC540. SAI has unsuccessfully worked on patches for us.

FB500: Spooling takes an eternity (literally slower than it takes to actually print the job in indoor signage mode). I can't send multiple pages/sheets, it either crashes or gets a callback error. If I centre the file to the middle of a sheet it spools but doesn't appear on the FB job queue. If I send large prints (over say 4x8') the result is fairly evenly split between: spooling then disappearing, crashing Photoprint, or actually working. Again SAI is working to patch these issues but I'm not sure how long I can wait.

L26500: It seems to ignore what's been set in PhotoPrint. If I set a 20mm side margin it still just defaults to printing 5mm from the side. I've also had issues where it changes the positioning of pages, two of the photos show where it's moved a page over another vs what is shown on the screen.

Is anyone using this program successfully? It's getting to the point where I just forgo the cost, ditch it for Caldera (approx $7000) and get new custom profiles made ($500 each).

Attachments

• IMAG0206.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG0200.jpg
    IMAG0200.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 135

Petor

try

the distance between the image must be more than 1,27cm
i dont know if it work but in my rip photoprint tha image are cutted if this distance is smoller than 1,27cm.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You just need to tab over to the "advanced nesting" window and click really fast.

wayne k
guam usa

I feel your pain, I have Flexi 8.6 and it is ridiculous, maybe it has been fixed in "The Cloud"

Depending on the job I've ended up manually nesting the jobs in Illustrator or Corel and printing it as a single file. Rip times can get a little longer but in the end I save time and frustration.

Attachments

• nesting.jpg
    nesting.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 106

Jose75jgarcia

caldera

we currently use caldera on our fb 500 and it works great. we also have a roland xc540 and have it on versa works. im not crazy about flexi. my main issue with flexi is how slow it rips files.i would switch to caldera.

neil_se

I already did. Why are you running your xc540 on Versaworks though? I've got all my printers running through Caldera and only use Versaworks if I want to do a quick contour cut only or pounce.