• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help photos on wood

BillyBoy86

I have a client looking for a little wood sign.
she wants a couple of photographs and a quote on it.
my thoughts on how to do this are to print the photos on a thin vinyl and apply to the wood.
then use a thick clear coat over them. i've done something like this before but never this small or with an actual photograph, but i found that if you brush on the clear, it can give full color images a look to them as if they are painted direct to the wood (make sure the brush strokes are visible.
i figured i'd engrave the quote below the photos.

anyone have any other methods they'd recommend for something like this?

my only concern is that i don't want the photos to look like i just pasted them to a block of wood.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Apply the photos to another substrate, clear them with several coats of clear and mount the substrate to the wooden plaque. It will truly have a 3D appearance and will look nice at any distance.

MikePro

youtube videos available how to take a print from paper and transfer it to wood with mineral spirits & clear coat it with poly.

petepaz

what about mounting it to the would, adding your quote and then apply doming solution?

http://daius.com/

you can get the do it your self kit. we use it all the time for small run decals in house

BillyBoy86

Apply the photos to another substrate, clear them with several coats of clear and mount the substrate to the wooden plaque. It will truly have a 3D appearance and will look nice at any distance.
i like that idea. do you think it will look odd though with the photos being dimensional off the front while the quote will be cut into the wood?

BillyBoy86

Find a shop nearby with a laser if they are ok with no color in the photo! Amazing results!
i have access to a laser, but as it is right now, she wants the photos in color. though i may do a trial run with the photos lasered and see what she thinks. could be a nice sample to have if she doesn't like it, right?

Tim4

Direct print on wood

There is a local photographer that produces prints directly on wood. I don't think he runs anything but his own prints but it is an example of the possibilities.

Attachments

• beach on wood.jpg
    beach on wood.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 276

BillyBoy86

A flatbed printer would get the best results.
i'll have to see if the local guy i deal with will print wood. i don't have a flatbed myself. if i go that route, i wouldn't need to engrave anything,....i could just print the quote as well