Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help photos on wood

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by BillyBoy86, Nov 3, 2016.

1. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    I have a client looking for a little wood sign.
    she wants a couple of photographs and a quote on it.
    my thoughts on how to do this are to print the photos on a thin vinyl and apply to the wood.
    then use a thick clear coat over them. i've done something like this before but never this small or with an actual photograph, but i found that if you brush on the clear, it can give full color images a look to them as if they are painted direct to the wood (make sure the brush strokes are visible.
    i figured i'd engrave the quote below the photos.

anyone have any other methods they'd recommend for something like this?

my only concern is that i don't want the photos to look like i just pasted them to a block of wood.

2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Apply the photos to another substrate, clear them with several coats of clear and mount the substrate to the wooden plaque. It will truly have a 3D appearance and will look nice at any distance.

3. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    youtube videos available how to take a print from paper and transfer it to wood with mineral spirits & clear coat it with poly.

4. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    what about mounting it to the would, adding your quote and then apply doming solution?

http://daius.com/

you can get the do it your self kit. we use it all the time for small run decals in house

5. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    i like that idea. do you think it will look odd though with the photos being dimensional off the front while the quote will be cut into the wood?

6. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    looking into. this could work

7. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    i forgot, i did see something like that before. not a bad idea

8. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
  9. tobyl

tobyl New Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Find a shop nearby with a laser if they are ok with no color in the photo! Amazing results!

10. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    i have access to a laser, but as it is right now, she wants the photos in color. though i may do a trial run with the photos lasered and see what she thinks. could be a nice sample to have if she doesn't like it, right?

11. Tim4

Tim4 Member

Direct print on wood

There is a local photographer that produces prints directly on wood. I don't think he runs anything but his own prints but it is an example of the possibilities.

Attached Files:

12. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    A flatbed printer would get the best results.

13. mameighan

mameighan Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Moberly
    There are sublimation Wood panels now available. Not sure on sizest but they are very cool when printed

14. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    i'll have to see if the local guy i deal with will print wood. i don't have a flatbed myself. if i go that route, i wouldn't need to engrave anything,....i could just print the quote as well