• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop Newbie

iceon

Where's the best place to learn how to work with Photoshop? I struggle with this program so much that I'm losing money at the end of the day trying to design stuff. I think I'm starting to get a drinking problem lol. I've had my first printer for a year now. I knew I was going to struggle with the learning curve but dang I thought it would be better by now. I find myself not using Flexi as much anymore and this Photoshop is a complex devil that hates my guts... It blows my mind what this program can do. Like the other day I watched a video and "I" made a lightning bolt MIND BLOWN! Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated. Over the years I've always said there is not enough training in the sign making industry.

crny1

I am in the same boat. I have illustrator figured out for the most part but photshop gets the best of me! So far I have hired someone to do the photoshop design side.

oksigns

Where's the best place to learn how to work with Photoshop? I struggle with this program so much that I'm losing money at the end of the day trying to design stuff. I think I'm starting to get a drinking problem lol. I've had my first printer for a year now. I knew I was going to struggle with the learning curve but dang I thought it would be better by now. I find myself not using Flexi as much anymore and this Photoshop is a complex devil that hates my guts... It blows my mind what this program can do. Like the other day I watched a video and "I" made a lightning bolt MIND BLOWN! Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated. Over the years I've always said there is not enough training in the sign making industry.

If you are going to learn how to do it yourself, you will need to work in it every day, read every tutorial available to meet your needs and practice. It is "part of practice" to be proficient in it. You will have to except that you wont be able to charge the same rate or amount of design time you actual spent because you are on a learning curve. It wont be fair for your customers, but you will slowly get better and faster, and as long as your driven to grow, you will get better and be able to charge appropriately.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ask a 15 or 16 year old kid...... they know everything. :Big Laugh

Practicing something day in and day out can get you there, as long as you aren't picking up any bad habits in the process. Perhaps, asking someone local for some tutoring would help.​

bannertime

I learned by using tutorials and studying other people's work. Looking at complex art to figure out how they layer and apply effects. Then I'd try to apply those same techniques to desktop wallpapers (this was 15 years ago before I started doing client work). Eventually you'll get to a point where you need to create something new, and instead of using a tutorial you'll be able to create it by yourself.

Gather a good collection of brushes and learn short cut commands. Ctrl-Alt-J and Ctrl-Alt-E are my two favorite, don't know why.

Learn how to be "non-destructive," don't raster a layer unless you have too. When you do, duplicate it and hide the original and raster the new one.

Also name your layers and use color codes.

You can save or copy/paste layer styles.

Eventually you can focus on building your own brushes and using actions.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you are looking to up your game for sign making you might want to learn Illustrator or CorelDraw first over Photoshop.
Vector based programs will put more money in your pocket at the end of the day.
You need to never stop learning but PS skills can come later.

wayne k
guam usa

Phenex

I will say I sharpened my Photoshop skills with YouTube. Many great instructional videos. Some better than others. Best part is you can rewind and replay as often as needed. Since there are many people making the videos on the same/similar topics, if you don't get it with one video of instruction, the next video may click. I still use it today to brush up on something I don't do everyday or to learn something new.

My local Community college offers classes in Photoshop. Upside here is you can actually ask someone how to do something if you are not getting it. Not to mention other students.

Most important part - you have to use it regularly or none of it will stick. This applies to any skill.

Also, I agree with Wayne. I use my vector software (Illustrator and Draw) far more often than Photoshop. YouTube can help you here too. But you have to use (and practice) what you have learned.

John

Last edited:

rjssigns

Check with a community college

THIS^^^^^

Without a doubt this is the best way to learn. Never been a fan of the on line tutorials. Too easy to walk away if you get frustrated. It is much better to have to be in class every week and present your work. Class time also allows you to ask questions of the instructor and your classmates. It also gives you the opportunity to see your competition.

I may be biased though...

Chris...

I'm self taught. I was given the job when scanners replaced cameras at the printing company I worked for.
at first I read books, Photoshop 3 had just been released. As soon as YouTube started to get popular I would look up how to do something when I needed to. It helps working at something 40 hours a week. It was the most enjoyable job I have ever had. Technology and customer education pretty much replaced me.