Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phototex Results

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by radiohead223, Oct 11, 2012.

1. radiohead223

radiohead223 Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Australia
    hi everyone,

just wanting to get some people experiences with printing on phototex material with the laxtex and how it prints, last and any problems you have had?

the suppliers of the HP printers here in Australia know very little about the product

thanks Glen

Tags:
  2. radiohead223

radiohead223 Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Australia
    also from what i have found the suppliers of phototex here in australia have two type. one is solvent and the other is for water based... i take it that the HP machines would print onto water based phototex?

3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I have heard mixed reviews of this stuff in the latex, you would use the solvent version. Do you have Ultraflexx over there? They make a similar product that works really well also.

4. Wiggum PI

Wiggum PI Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    You could give Bob McIntyre at DES a call, they supply the stuff, and if he doesn't know, someone there will. http://www.des-pl.com.au/contact-us
    Call the Sydney office..

Chris.

5. radiohead223

radiohead223 Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Australia
    done that and they don't know much about the HP laxtex inks... i thought best to ask here and get some first hand experience

6. Wiggum PI

Wiggum PI Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    Ok, good to know.

7. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    I have a profile we made for phototex on the L25500 if you're using onyx.
    I can let you have it to try if you want.

Edit - solvent type.
    We haven't actually run a job on it yet.
    Test print looked pretty sweet though.

8. radiohead223

radiohead223 Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Australia
    hi bigfish
    have you used either product on the HP's yourself?

who is making ultraflexx as i haven't heard of that one through any suppliers around here as yet?

9. radiohead223

radiohead223 Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Australia
    how did your test go for colour and the print adhering?.... could you sractch it off with ease?

10. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Looked pretty durable.
    At least as good as off the Roland.
    We haven't done any Phototex jobs lately but will use the HP when we do.

11. radiohead223

radiohead223 Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Australia
    cool thanks

12. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    Ran a test once off our L25500 for a car yard customer. Customer reporting the ink was coming off in the rain. We stuck it up outside and portions of the ink was coming off.

The L26500 seems to be alot better in that regard.

13. Skye

Skye Member

Feb 22, 2010
    canada
    Contact

I suggest you contact phototex directly. I did and received reply the same day from president. Extremely helpfully with our large job.

14. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Interesting Jason.
    Well we had a Phototex print in our foyer printed on our Roland that got wet from a leaking a/c water drain and it washed all the ink off that too.

15. signspot

signspot Hokiesigns

Jul 15, 2010
    Hokie Nation
    Phototex prints just fine on the HP latex printer. I have printed several larger prints on my latex printer using phototex and the print quality has been phenominal. I haven't tested it under wet conditions so I can't vouch for its durability there.

16. radiohead223

radiohead223 Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Australia
    cool thanks everyone.... very helpful... a lot more info than any sales guys here has been able to tell me about it

17. I use PhotoTex regularly on my Canons IPF Pigment printers, once I have to print it in an HP L25500 (owned by a friend) and the results were better than in my Canons in terms of scratch resistance and the look was very good. I used the water based version. So you can use the water based version without any problem.... but I didn't wet the print.......it was for an interior design.

18. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over

No but I have a big latex user group http://hpl25500users.ning.com/ and have heard from other users about it. Ultraflexx is the maker of the other adhesive fabric, ultraflexx should have distribution out there.

19. PhotoTex Group Inc.

PhotoTex Group Inc. President

Mar 25, 2011
    boardman, OH
    So here is the skinny, Both versions of the Photo Tex Solvent and Water Base work on all Latex (try the light textile setting). As for outdoors, yes the Latex and Solvent can wash out and so we do recommend liquid lamination. I am working to take over the Australia Territory in the near future. As for Ultraflex or any other adhesive substrate, simply cut a piece off the roll, peel the backer off and fold in half, then peel apart and see how the adhesive reacts, If it comes off, balls up,or looks a mess, then its no good. Then try this with Photo Tex also and see the difference :) Please feel free to e-mail me anytime walterjr@phototexgroup.com Come see our new products and booth at SGIA!!!!