• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Phototex seam double cut issue.

frojasferrari

We are having some issues with the cut of the overlap with phototex. I dont know if its because we are new to the material and theres a trick to do it different from other substrates, but everytime we do the cut, a white stripe is left. The blade is new, the pressure is right... dont know whats wrong.

Any ideas?

a couple of pictures from a test we did today for you guys.

Attachments

• DSC02890.jpg
    DSC02890.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC02891.jpg
    DSC02891.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC02892.jpg
    DSC02892.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC02893.jpg
    DSC02893.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC02894.jpg
    DSC02894.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 168

LeeTringes

Just to clarify, you are printing and cutting separate images and then seaming them together and getting the white strip between the sections?

frojasferrari

Yeah, we are printing wallpapers, the one in the pictures is a "mini wallpaper" printed for the overlap cut test and take the pictures.

Billct2

by "double cut" you mean you are overlapping then cutting one straight cut thru both layers?

frojasferrari

Yes , exactly that, sorry if it was not clear.
i'm dokng that but the white line still shows, im using new blades but still.

(sorry if the english is not clear enough)

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Is the 'white' that is showing an actual GAP between the panels? Or is there white material showing because you didn't have an overlap in the actual image? You need to have an overlap of 1/2 inch to 1 inch usually to do a nice butt seam....not just a material overlap, but an overlap in the image.

DirtyD

Its not the wall that were seeing as in one picture the wall is purple.. it looks like were seeing the unprinted edge of the phototex after the cut.. like the print shrunk or something thing...Strange

eahicks

I think he doesn't have an overlap in the print....waiting to hear back.

eahicks

Double cut with Phototex should show no seams, done right. It doesn't shrink so can't be shrinkage. This wall has 3 seams...can't see anything.

Attachments

• 20141030_153333.jpg
    20141030_153333.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 164

frojasferrari

Did a 2 cms overlap. (the 2cms are scaled on the "mini wallpaper") Then I did the cut, took out the remains and got that pretty white line.

:frustrated:

I´m all ears to tricks, tips, ideas, manuals, books, magazines, witchcraft, vodooooo, etc... to make the right cut.

I think is all due a lack of technique with the knife (Installer)

What you guys think?

eahicks

I have no clue...if yours is overlapped, you're cutting in the center of the overlap, pulling out the top strip that's left and the bottom strip that's left underneath, there should not be white showing period...should be color print next to color print.... Very strange.

bigben

I think he make his double cut but only peel the part on top and leave the other part behind it. The white line is the ''thickness'' of the material.

frojasferrari

Im peeling both parts.

The white line are the "fibers" of the phototex, we will now try with new set of blades (olfa) and see how it goes.

PushProductions

Sometime phototex "unravels" when not cut all the way through. We had problems with this but never that bad. Make sure you are cutting all the way though. If you are doing a test then OVER cut it. Cut all the way into the sheet rock. You wouldnt want to do this normally but just for a test.

frojasferrari

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Second "mini wallpaper", with overlap (image and paper), middle overlap cut, new set of blades, extra wall damage pressure on the cut, same result.

problems....

The blade?
Ink not staying on phototex?
bad phototex roll? :omg:
Lousy installer skills?

Phototex is kind of new here in Chile, so theres no one who can help me here with previous experience on phototex install, in fact, the installers that we interviewed to be our installers didnt knew the substrate at all.

Our strength is to die cut stickers on phototex (something like wallmonkeys) and we sell lots of door wraps on phototex.... neither of those have the overlap problem.

so...:covereyes: now we will try with no overlap at all.
We cut long sheets on a 104" keencut evolution 2 wich leaves no "white" border on the sheets, so maybe thats the way to go?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC02895.jpg
    DSC02895.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC02896.jpg
    DSC02896.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC02897.jpg
    DSC02897.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC02899.jpg
    DSC02899.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC02900.jpg
    DSC02900.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 255

PushProductions

when you pull off the spare pieces after you do the overlap cut do they come right off with no hesitation? Or do they catch here and there?

eahicks

What kind of blade are you using? A steak knife? Looks to me like the edge is not smooth at all....you need to be using an Xacto, #11 or similar, or at least some type of super sharp angled blade, like Olfa. You need a nice CLEAN cut.