• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pics of your Thermal Prints?

TateM

We're looking to get into printing and it seems a thermal printer would be suit our needs.

I've seen plenty of prints from eco solvent and latex to understand their capabilities and quality.

Is anyone willing to share some of their photos of what they've printed on their thermal printer?

The purpose of asking is to see variations of what the final outcome looks like from these types of printers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Go to the next trade show and look at the stuff, first hand. You can't tell from pictures over the Internet.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

TateM

Go to the next trade show and look at the stuff, first hand. You can't tell from pictures over the Internet.
Hmm, yes, let me just run right out to that trade show that may or may not be happening any time soon. Awesome idea.

Billct2

What is your application and which Thermal Printers are you considering?
I have an Edge and I have tried a Summa and a lot depends on the end use

TateM

What is your application and which Thermal Printers are you considering?
I have an Edge and I have tried a Summa and a lot depends on the end use
Thanks for the reply. While either machine will suit our needs, we were leaning toward the Summa based on some features and our experience with the brand & support.

I was just inquiring to see the actual outcome of thermal prints in general that come out.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You're welcome to browse my gallery. There are 8 pages. Lot's of Edge prints shown. https://signs101.com/media/users/fred-weiss.394/?page=2.

The two main players in thermal printing are the Gerber Edge and the Summa DC series printers and printer-cutters. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The Edge is limited in print area to 11.8" of height in a single panel while the Summas can go much wider or taller. The Edge is sprocket feed making it inherently more accurate than the friction feed Summas. There is a strong aftermarket for Edge compatible foils. The Summas are pretty much single source. The Edge can print at up to 60" 11.8" per minute per color. Not sure but I don't think the Summas are as fast. The Edge uses an 11.8" printhead with 50 yard foil cartridges. The Summas use a carousel with a much smaller printhead and foils that cover much less before needing replacement. Because the Summas print a smaller area at a time, they sometimes have "stitching" issues where each section joins the next.

The Edge has a much larger user base than any other thermal printer. As such it's a lot easier to get advice and help for one at a forum such as Signs 101 than it is for other brands.

Billct2

You didn't answer my question. But here's my take. The Edge is an awesome machine within it's limitations. the biggest limit being the 11.8" limit, but tiling is pretty accurate and before laminated wide format prints took over the market we would use it for some pretty big jobs. For contour cut spot color vehicle lettering and signs it is great. It's a;so pretty good at fades.
We have an Edge 2 and for 4 color work it can be hit and miss. It's also perfect for small decals. the availability of lots of special materials and foils is also a great asset.
As for the Summa DC4, I was disappointed in ours. We never really got it going well. Banding issues popped up often. I know there are people out there who are using them very successfully but we aren't one of them. I attached a few pics of older jobs that were edge printed. The restaurant banner logo and the fake stained glass panels were on the edge. The truck multi color stuff was edge printed and contour cut.

Attachments

• SULLIVANS.jpg
    SULLIVANS.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 166
  • hydroscrub.JPG
    hydroscrub.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 168

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I did say the next trade show. Didn't say it would be tomorrow. You need to learn patience, besides.... with thermal, you'll need a lotta patience, anyway.