• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pigment Ink after converting to Eco Sol

staci0625

I'm at a point where it is time to convert my CJ500 from the pigment ink it came with (about 6 cartridges of each color) to Eco Sol ink so I can print on T-shirt vinyl, other types of vinyl, banners etc. My primary business so far has been apparel vinyl, specifically within the sports market in my local area. I have done some other things for customers as well but my abilities were limited because my printer is not yet converted.

I'm not looking to become a huge sign maker nor do I have any delusion of making any huge monthly income from a new business. I know a great sign maker in my area I am happy to refer customers to for detailed printed signs, that is not a service I am an expert at right now. For now I am happy doing what I do and learning as I go, I don't claim to know more than I know but I hope to learn a lot more so I can can do more in the future.

My question is this: After I convert the machine can I switch back over to run a batch of prints, say on canvas or photo paper, with the large supply of pigment ink that came with my printer when I bought it? I really hate to waste all this ink and can't imagine there is a huge demand for it if I were to try to sell it. I assume if it is possible I would need to clean the machine between inks so it is not something I would would want to do to run just one small print but I would like to know if it is possible and therefore worth saving the ink. If this is a waste of my time or just not possible I would appreciate knowing that so I don't waste my time trying to figure it out later. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

sfr table hockey

No, once you do the conversion you would not want to go back and forth. If it were as simple as a flush and then swithch ink it may be worth it, but it does not work that way. If the solvent comes into contact with water based ink it gels up and plugs stuff. You would be better off buying a older Fj printer and keep one water based and have one solvent.

You might be able to sell the left over ink you still have. Full carts would be easier. One thing you won't get the same results on canvas with solvent as you do now with the water based ink. Water based is much better in that area. However the $$ you will save on media for the solvent will pay for the conversion in no time.

staci0625

No, once you do the conversion you would not want to go back and forth. If it were as simple as a flush and then swithch ink it may be worth it, but it does not work that way. If the solvent comes into contact with water based ink it gels up and plugs stuff. You would be better off buying a older Fj printer and keep one water based and have one solvent.

You might be able to sell the left over ink you still have. Full carts would be easier. One thing you won't get the same results on canvas with solvent as you do now with the water based ink. Water based is much better in that area. However the $$ you will save on media for the solvent will pay for the conversion in no time.

Ok Table Hockey, I've read enough on this board in the last two days that I think if I recall correctly you own a converted CJ 500 as well as an older machine you can run pigment in. So my question to you is what about the quality of photos on photo paper with the CJ after you converted it, like for framing? I will keep my eyes open for a local older printer I can pick up and keep to use for canvas if I still feel like I need that but If I can still get good photo prints and decent canvas prints I may not waste my space. I'm still a small business not wanting to outgrow myself. I'm still letting most of my business come to me rather than going after a lot of business especially since I am still trying to learn so much. I really appreciate your response on my initial question, thanks so much!

sfr table hockey

I do have 2 CJ 500's and 1 FJ 42. Only 1 CJ was converted to solvent so I can tell you first hand how a CJ 500 prints with solvent and waterbased.

When I printed a test on Mac 7 canvas (Rolands) the waterbased had better color as in bright and close to the original art work. I made a post a couple years or so about this exact test print.

Now there may be better canvas out there for solvent but I did try a Picaso canvas on the solvent printer and again the waterbased on Torino and once again the water based won out on a better looking canvas. I do think art is going to look better with the waterbased ink.

Having said that I am just finishing some menu prints I did with some vinyl with solvent and they look real nice, but they are not photos or prints.

Also life for a waterbased pigmented print I think is going to out last solvent. It's hard to get an accurate call on this as uness you have done a test 50 years ago you won't know first hand. From what I heard waterbased is 75 - 100 years on canvas. No one has ever said for solvent but again do they need to last that long???

Art prints are a hard area to make money in and a hard market to please. I match prices in the City for my canvas and you can't mess up often and still have margins to make a go of it. Solvent printing is a lot easier to make money with banners and such and not have the eagle eye looking over an image.

If you are not already doing the art and canvas stuff you might find it ok to get some good solvent canvas and have a go at just doing large canvas prints or photos and you will get good results. You will not get the Canvas giclee crowd with solvent but do you really want that. I do think you will make out better on the solvent side for all the things you can do compared to waterbased. Can't say what paper is available for solvent prints but I am sure that there are some. Just know that the solvent tends to be a bit duller.

Also an FJ prints almost the same as a CJ as they have the same heads. You can get a bit faster speen on an FJ. The FJ 400 and 500 printer are faster yet but I can't compare what they are like. You might get an old FJ for under $1500. I have never looked back after getting my old Rolands and knowing they paid for them self in little time makes it even better.