• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pillow case banner help

ams

I need to create a "Pillow Case" that will cover over top of an existing sign cabinet. It would be sewn on the sides and slipped over. I would use the retainer to hold it onto the sign.

The problem I am having is:

#1. What size to make it? It needs a few extra inches for play room.

#2. How do I lay out the artwork for it? I thought making it all out of one piece would be best, but maybe two is better?

afton.jpg
20180315_181711.jpg

bannertime

If it's temporary just lace two banners together. We do it a few times a year and have never had an issue. Way easier than trying to do all that stuff.

Caveat: This is in no way a permanent or remotely long term solution. The banners are up, at most, 4 months while we are waiting on customer supplied artwork, approvals, or permits.

Attachments

• Bannertime Photos Pre 2005 (129).jpg
    Bannertime Photos Pre 2005 (129).jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20180202_163955.jpg
    20180202_163955.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:

ams

That was my first idea, but he wanted to spend an extra $1,000 to make it like a pillow case to increase the life of it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wish I had customers who would say........ ya know, I'd like to spend more money. Think ya can figure a way to up that cost ??

Yeah, let's do something stupid like this pillow case idea and spend an extra $1,000. Sheesh.

Marlene

Out source it to a banner company that makes these types of banners as they seem OK with paying more for it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tried my best to sell him on that, but nooooo wants to go cheap and replace it every two years.

Wait....... you just said he wanted to spend more money to do a better job. How much can doing it right cost vs. this stupid idea ?? Are ypu sure this pillow idea isn't all yours ??

These are very common for temp signage. Especially for banks that are doing a complete re branding campaign. We have no problem with producing this for you per specifications above. The only issue you may come across is the current cabinet has rounded corners and may pose an issue to get tight and wrinkle free since the pillow case will have straight edges.

If you need cost feel free to email me and I will get you back pricing.

Michael Failla
Graphic Solutions Director

Merritt Graphics
101 Prestige Park Rd.
East Hartford, Ct 06108
d: +1 860.952.1530
c: +1 860.883.7642
mfailla@merrittgraphics.com

ams

These are very common for temp signage. Especially for banks that are doing a complete re branding campaign. We have no problem with producing this for you per specifications above. The only issue you may come across is the current cabinet has rounded corners and may pose an issue to get tight and wrinkle free since the pillow case will have straight edges.

If you need cost feel free to email me and I will get you back pricing.

Michael Failla
Graphic Solutions Director

Merritt Graphics
101 Prestige Park Rd.
East Hartford, Ct
d: +1 860.952.1530
c: +1 860.883.7642
mfailla@merrittgraphics.com

No seams?

TimToad

Tried my best to sell him on that, but nooooo wants to go cheap and replace it every two years.

May I suggest creating a very strong waiver of liability for you and your shop to make sure that one of these "temporary" banners being used long term doesn't deteriorate, blow off and cause a wreck?

We all tend to forget about a project after its up and IF a hole got poked through the banner in heavy winds and the hole turned into a rip, etc. etc. the whole thing could blow off and fly into traffic.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
May I suggest creating a very strong waiver of liability for you and your shop to make sure that one of these "temporary" banners being used long term doesn't deteriorate, blow off and cause a wreck?

We all tend to forget about a project after its up and IF a hole got poked through the banner in heavy winds and the hole turned into a rip, etc. etc. the whole thing could blow off and fly into traffic.
I'd suggest having an attorney do it- but it probably still wouldn't stop a lawsuit when the customer leaves it there for far longer than is recommended.

signbrad

One advantage of using flexible face material, such as Cooley, is its durability. It can be installed and lettered, then stripped and re-lettered later.
I have done this many times. Unless I am eradicating, I would install the blank face material for this sign and then apply vinyl graphics on site. Stripping and re-lettering can be done from a bucket without removing the face. I have stripped and re-lettered the same faces as many as three times this way.

Lettering a blank face on-site avoids any alignment issues you might have when tensioning fabric that's already lettered, an advantage if you are working alone out of a bucket truck. I have even eradicated faces in place for the same reason, though never one this big. Do it carefully, and on a calm day.

The faces in the picture appear to have been cut with a knife. Flexible faces don't just blow out. At least, I've never seen one blow out. Small rips usually stay small without progressing. The fabrics are made to do this. I have even carefully knife-trimmed vinyl right on a flexible face with no problems arising from it even years later.
Had the original faces been left intact in this sign, it may have been possible to strip and re-letter it economically.

I believe flexible faces produce the most durable of lighted signs as long as the internal structure is well built. No breakage or yellowing as with acrylic and polycarbonate. Easier servicing, too, if the cabinet fabricator planned well.

Brad in Kansas City

ams

I didn't mention that it's an illuminated sign, so the banner material will need to be translucent.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't mention that it's an illuminated sign, so the banner material will need to be translucent.

You've got to be kidding. With all of your giving in to some jerk's wishes of everything wrong...... just goes beyond asking almost all of your questions. Whether this is a joke or not, now you're talking stupid-dumb.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
IIfeel like I know the type of customer your dealing with. He's probably intending on this being a long-term sign and trying to get it for cheap $$. They don't care if it's the right way they just want it cheap and not pay full price. It's your job to tell them what their options are along with the cost and walk away when they don't agree. Why you letting the customer walk all over you? Grow a backbone and tell him what u can do for how much. Tell him flexface fuckface or no face! If he doesn't like the options walk away and don't let him waste anymore of your time. You'll probably end up spending hours over this bid and never get the job anyway.

Last edited:

Johnny Best

If you're covering it up during the day then why have the lights on at night if there is no advertising a sign for a business involved. Unless to warn birds or low flying planes at night.