• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pinstriping or lettering first?

Plum House

After Christmas, I plan to start practicing with hand lettering.

I was wondering if learning to pinstripe would help with the lettering or would it be better to practice the lettering first and then work on pinstriping? Or do you think it doesn't really matter?

I have a friend that can help with pinstriping, that's basically why I'm asking.

Jillbeans

There are tons of young up and coming pinstripers in Ohio.
I hang out with a few of them at the World of Wheels show at the end of January (in Pittsburgh) You do have to be able to stripe to get in though so you better start practicing.
Both lettering and striping will teach you brush control and various paint techniques and types.
Love...Jill

Craig Sjoquist

Agrees with Jill.

Besides hand lettering takes alot longer to master then pinstriping but both are nothing unless you practice, with pinstriping your practicing a single main step ...lines mostly about 6 -7 different ways like right/left curves etc.

With hand lettering your practicing several main fonts that will create most any font but you have all sorts of sizes on and on, and different brushes that work on different surfaces etc.

The future is most likely brighter for pinstriping since vinyl pinstripes look ugly and do not last and people like the custom work of people not machine.

Having a friend to teach is even better, most do not get that bennifit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Agrees with Jill.

Besides hand lettering takes alot longer to master then pinstriping but both are nothing unless you practice, with pinstriping your practicing a single main step ...lines mostly about 6 -7 different ways like right/left curves etc.

With hand lettering your practicing several main fonts that will create most any font but you have all sorts of sizes on and on, and different brushes that work on different surfaces etc.

The future is most likely brighter for pinstriping since vinyl pinstripes look ugly and do not last and people like the custom work of people not machine.

Having a friend to teach is even better, most do not get that bennifit.

Ha, I always thought it was the other way around. Lettering came in like 6 months and I'm still not any good as a pin-striper after 40 years. :frustrated: Unless you're just talking straights and some curves, but no real crazies going on in the striping.
I can't do this kinda stuff, but sure wish I could. It would take me 20 hours to study it and 1/2hour to fug it up.

Attachments

• pinstripe-1.jpg
    pinstripe-1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 106
  • pinstripe-2.jpg
    pinstripe-2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 129
  • pinstripe-3.jpg
    pinstripe-3.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 139

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I was wondering if learning to pinstripe would help with the lettering or would it be better to practice the lettering first and then work on pinstriping? Or do you think it doesn't really matter?

Doesn't really matter, It's all about brush control & paint viscosity and takes practice, practice, practice to master. Get some striping and lettering quills and have some fun.

I hand lettered and striped for many years and rarely get requests for hand lettering since the digital age. Customers still and always want painted stripes and accents on their vehicles.

Pat Whatley

From what I've seen there are a whole lot more people making money with pinstriping than there are with hand lettering.

Plum House

I'll just have to practice both at the same time, lol. I can do some simple swirls now so I think I might be able to pick up striping fairly easily. If lettering will take me a while, I can use the striping skills to paint lines, swirls and flourishes and mask the letters until I get good at that.

I read an earlier thread on hand lettering so have an idea on those brushes, what about striping brushes for a beginner?

I have seen some beautiful striping and have a ton of respect for the ones that do it, but I know me, and I will get tired of doing just that all the time.

Pat Whatley

Got a whole box full of brushes and about 20 gallons (yes...gallons) of One Shot....and I've practiced for about three hours. I'm going to attend my first Letterhead meet somewhere next year and hopefully I can suck up enough info to let me know where to even begin. My biggest hurdle is I keep wanting to form letters with the same kind of strokes I use in painting and it just doesn't work.

Steve C.

I've been hand lettering for 50 yrs. and I have done pretty good with it. But
I still seem to struggle with striping. I just can't get comfortable with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Got a whole box full of brushes and about 20 gallons (yes...gallons) of One Shot....and I've practiced for about three hours. I'm going to attend my first Letterhead meet somewhere next year and hopefully I can suck up enough info to let me know where to even begin. My biggest hurdle is I keep wanting to form letters with the same kind of strokes I use in painting and it just doesn't work.

Pat, some people will paint with a solid stroke of the brush, while others literally build or form a letter.

Generally, when lettering, you don't want to make many strokes and build letters in oil based paints. As time goes by, that will eventually look like crap as fading takes place. You want to keep a solid pressure downward stroke and snap it when you reach the bottom and then take your brush across and finish it off. Whether using quills or flats, the technique is still pretty much the same. Building of letters works better when doing shocard or interior tempera type work. They generally aren't made for the long haul.

I have all the quills and red sable flats you can think of, along with fans and pig brushes for walls, but I always felt the most comfortable with a 1-1/2" red sable flat. I could make the widest of letters or all the way down to an 1/8" stripe. It's all in the wrist and twirling it with your fingers when lettering.

You never really want to sketch with a brush the way some people sketch with a pencil or piece of charcoal. In fact, you never really want to do it in any medium. A little trick is, when you see someone making several strokes to conduct one main stroke, they are a hack in most hand-painters eyes. You should be able to make a stroke from point 'A' to point 'B' in one single stroke.... not several. Making several lines and attempts just means you are unsure of what your eye-hand coordination is. This bleeds over to your hand-painting also.

Try this. Hand-write a sentence on a piece of paper with a ball-point pen and see how many times you re-stroke any of the letters ?? Probably none. So, why can't you do that with another apparatus in your hand ?? It only takes practice.

When I was in school, to break us of this sketching habit, for a year we had to do all drawings and assignments with a ballpoint pen. You were taught to know where your pencil or pen was going to go. A vary valuable lesson, not only in lettering or drawing, but in your life. Know what you want and go directly to it. Don't beat around the bush.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

The most frustration I've ever witnessed firsthand was a few master sign painters who decided to give pinstriping a try. These guys could effortlessly hand letter world class signs but became all thumbs when attempting to pinstripe. While being a pinstriper for four years at a major motorcycle manufacturer, I saw dozens of wannabe's come in and sit down confident they would be striping in a few days. Out of all of them, only one, a non English speaking illegal alien got it and became awesome at it. I taught him almost every day for months and would just talk like he could understand everything I was saying... the main thing was he WATCHED closely and used the flat practice panel with flames on it even through his lunch hour. Based on what he accomplished, I'd say you need to possess an unswerving, burning desire to master striping and don't put the brush down for hours on end - literally. In my personal experience, both as a striper and sign painter, I know about the only thing the two have in common is brushes and paint are utilized. Very little (if at all) of what you do with a brush when painting a sign carries over into striping and vise versa. Right now, there is definitely more money in pinstriping, although I'm doing pretty good with the sign painting as well. Watch every Youtube video on striping you can find, utilize the services of your friend, and go for it like your life depends on it. If "practice" is a word that turns you off, substitute something else for it. Maybe refer to it as "future money" time. When you reach the point where you are getting into "the zone" while pursuing future money, you'll know you're almost there. The zone is when time is passing you don't even notice and everything you are doing is getting easier and easier. Buy every pinstriping dvd you can find as well and watch them over and over. I got a Steve Kafka video and immediately after watching it attempted to stripe in his style... it was a horrid mess. I watched the video again a few more times - paying close attention to how much paint he loaded on his brush and watched his arm movements. I went back to it with a renewed vigor that began to slowly pay off as Kafak-esque striping began to emerge when I got into the zone. I hope this babble gives you some insight on what you are up against to learn striping. As to your question - which to learn first - I'd go so far as to say discard one or the other. I'd recommend learning to stripe and forgoing the hand lettering altogether. You are taking on a Herculean task with attempting both. Good luck.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
From what I've seen there are a whole lot more people making money with pinstriping than there are with hand lettering.

+1 to that.

I know how to hand letter, but man if I don't get requests every day for pinstriping. Funny enough though, a lot of the pinstripers in the area come into my shop for lettering and designs cut out of paint mask so they can paint lettering on vehicles, then accent with striping afterwords.

sardocs

I did handlettering professionally for 20+ years and all that time I continued to struggle with striping. Long thin straight lines and nice tight scrolls with a sword striper or a dagger brush always looked less than pro to me. Then about in '95 I was at John Hannukaines place in Washington for a stripers workshop and he showed me how to trim out the 'belly' of my brushes. I had never modified any of my Macks before that. It really made a huge difference in how the brushes respond to your movements.