Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Pipeline Acquisition Conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by JBurton, Oct 19, 2018.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have a customer who merged with another gas company, and they are needing to replace or relabel their existing pipeline markers. So they asked me for pricing on a handful of sizes, to the tune of 1,000 pieces or more each. I am wanting to give them a product that is going to last, as well as be easy to apply, because the customer will likely have their own techs do the install. The actual pieces are very small, around 3"x6", so I'm not really concerned with how easy it is to lay, but more along the lines of something with aggressive adhesive that would make cleaning a less critical step in the process. Being a 3m fan, I was hoping to quote some of their high tac vinyls, but they are giving a 5 year life on the ones I've looked at so far.
    Does anybody have any suggestions with a 10 year outdoor performance with a high tac permanent adhesive? 3m or not, though I would prefer cast either way.

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    IJ180mC-10LSE is a 10 year high tack. Only 10 year cast lam that Grimco shows is Orafol 289F.

3. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    10 years until it's printed. Unless I read their matrix wrong there is no MCS warranty once it has ink on it. Doesn't matter if latex or solvent.

4. bannertime

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Yeah, I imagine you'd have to use solvent to get anywhere near 7-8 years out of it. Those are the only two materials that I saw that even mentioned 10 years.

5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I appreciate everyone's input so far. Just to give an update, the customer is wanting to see some pricing on the 3m prismatic material... Die cut... and individually cut out. We are about to hit 30k individual pieces, and they are still counting signs...

• Like Like x 1
  6. bannertime

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Have you asked Stouse about what they offer for long term decals?

• Like Like x 2
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Never heard of them, but a quick google says wholesale printer, right? I was really really wanting to finally put my 570 through some actual workload, but I've been thinking about how I am going to have to outsource this as they keep adding thousands to this job. I'm assuming you've used them and would recommend them then?

8. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    30k is a totally different means of production and pricing level not doable by a standard sign shop. They're asking the local welding shop to mass produce automobiles for them.

9. bannertime

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Do yourself a favor and give them a call. Don't have to tell the customer that it's outsourced, but that it's a different means of production. Stouse can probably knock out 30k decals in a few hours while you'll be looking at a couple days.

10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Don't I know it!

11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Thanks, I'll definitely give them a shout.

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Stouse for the win! Landed the job thanks to these fine folks churning out 10+ quotes overnight. Many thanks to bannertime for the suggestion.

• Like Like x 3
  13. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I was going to ask if these decals need to meet any fire retardant standards as they are being applied to pipelines. A lot of companies are required to use materials compliant with their company-wide safety/ISO protocols.

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    That was one of my first thoughts. Surely the company has some strict specs they want me to adhere to... but nope, they just are required to have the correct phone number and company information on every sign. These are not going on any sort of equipment, just identification signage for location of buried pipe and on fences.

• Like Like x 1
  15. unclebun

unclebun Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    In light of recent outsourcing threads, I hope you quoted your customer Stouse's MSRP, rather than just adding an hour's labor to the net for placing the order....;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    But of course! I'm still baffled by the length of the thread concerning price/inch.

17. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Did you end up getting this job? We do a lot of Avery Traffic and Workplace Safety reflectives now and the only way to get life span is via screen print or Avery TrafficJet printer. The reflective will certainly last if you use type 4 or above. But we print with our Latex and FB all the time with great long lasting results.

If you need help with sourcing items let me know.

18. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    We sure did. Stouse is producing a grand total of 34,470 signs (I refuse to call the smallest digital print a sticker) for us. But I do appreciate the offer!

19. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    I see you've already went with Stouse. Ben at https://www.labelsp.com is awesome to work with if you need future orders like this. Their pricing is good, they are pretty fast and have a nice selection of decal options.

20. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Thank you sir, I'm always looking for recommendations!