• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plastic razor scrapers

GVP

Greetings all!

Big fan of the little plastic razor blades for removing vinyl, but not a big fan of the handles. So far, every handle we've had has broken in some way - they all seem too flimsy. So does anyone have a recommendation of a handle that's durable and will take the plastic blades?
TIA

ams

Yes, I found some amazing metal ones that work with either steel or plastic blades. Also has a non-slip grip. Let me remember where I bought them....

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This is what I use... gives good leverage. You can get them at auto parts stores.

70412118.jpg

BobM

In a weak moment I purchased wooden scraper handle from Yellow tools. It came with 4 - 2"X3" orange plastic blades.
About $35 I think. It has been great. The wooden handle fits your palm, the blade is hard enough to do a good job without hurting your hand, and I'm still on my original blade after about 6 months. Stripped some tough, , cracked, cheap vinyl and some paint protective film off a six year old car.
Expensive but very durable.

equippaint

We buy the holders on amazon, spend more for a good brand, they all look the same but they aren't. All my guys like the fold up type that swings out from the side, they seem to have the best angle. The cheap ones though, wont stay locked out. Those harbor fright ones have an aggressive angle and are too short to ever get a good enough grip without scraping the skin off your knuckles. The long ones that tx showed area in between the two styles angle wise but we break them in a couple days. IMO the plastic razor blades are totally worthless unless you're charging by the hour.

ams

We buy the holders on amazon, spend more for a good brand, they all look the same but they aren't. All my guys like the fold up type that swings out from the side, they seem to have the best angle. The cheap ones though, wont stay locked out. Those harbor fright ones have an aggressive angle and are too short to ever get a good enough grip without scraping the skin off your knuckles. The long ones that tx showed area in between the two styles angle wise but we break them in a couple days. IMO the plastic razor blades are totally worthless unless you're charging by the hour.

Are you trying to break a weld with one? I mean how much pressure are you trying to use? Scrapping should be easy and only firm pressure. I've never had an issue with the angle.

equippaint

Are you trying to break a weld with one? I mean how much pressure are you trying to use? Scrapping should be easy and only firm pressure. I've never had an issue with the angle.
We employ raped apes to remove decals before sandblasting

DerbyCitySignGuy

In a weak moment I purchased wooden scraper handle from Yellow tools. It came with 4 - 2"X3" orange plastic blades.
About $35 I think. It has been great. The wooden handle fits your palm, the blade is hard enough to do a good job without hurting your hand, and I'm still on my original blade after about 6 months. Stripped some tough, , cracked, cheap vinyl and some paint protective film off a six year old car.

I've never used anything from YelloTools that wasn't good to great. Even when I'm thinking, "Why would I ever need this?" I always end up being pleasantly surprised.

d fleming

We have one as well. Thought it was a bit pricey but it is a great tool.