• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plexiglas Standoff Signs w/ Frosted

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I need to make this... would this be frosted glass vinyl on the back of clear acrylic with cut vinyl / digital print cut images on the front?

If I used 5/16 plexi, how would you recommend cutting it?

thumbnail.png

Last edited:

Johnny Best

Find a plastic distributor in your area that will cut it for you. They will cut it to the size you need and give you a good edge so you can polish them. Install frosted vinyl on back and put a pad down on your work table so it does not scratch the frosted. Apply cut out copy and prints on first surface. Be careful drilling holes for stand offs so it does not rip the frosted vinyl. Or you could drill your holes before applying vinyl to back to avoid tearouts drilling, I do not know how meticulous you are about things. Or you could put the vinyl and prints on first, drill holes and wet apply frosted to back.

Last edited:

signsvisual

Get P-95 clear acrylic because it is frosted/matte on one side and looks just like your photo and then use cut vinyl on the front surface. No need for frosted vinyl in the back unless u want more opaque of a frost.

Johnny Best

I like to use green edge acrylic with polished edges. Then when putting etch vinyl on 2nd surface cut in about a 1/4" around the edge being careful not to show razor cutmarks on overlap. Gives it a look of glass and more custom.
I only use the p95 and ones like it for frames of pictures to reduce glare. And if you scratch that p95 on the etch side you will not be able to repair it.

BetaCtz

In addition to this, if you flame polish acrylic and then wet install frost expect potential issues.

I did such, and wet applied frost film with rapidtac/soapy water. The acrylic ended up with microfizzure cracks inward from the edges.

I believe that because the flame polishing melts and affects the composition of the acrylic on a microscopic level, the chemical application whether it's soap or anyting can have a negative effect, especially once it has been squeegeed with some pressure. My guess is also the introduction of ISO alcohol for cleaning or in mix. I'd agree the p95 option as shown or a Frost vinyl applied to acrylic that has not been flame polished.

Johnny Best

I am not a lover of flame polish unless you have done a lot of it. And things like above with the crazing happens. Sanding and buffer wheel with compound sticks is the safest and nicest finish of that thickness.
You have to polish the edges or it just looks unfinished and cheap.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Clear acrylic, optically clear face-mounted clear polyester using white ink option, optically clear mounted p95 backing, planed / sanded edges is a first-rate interior decor choice.

ikarasu

If you flame polish the edges, you can only wet apply with soap and water.

Rapid tac even has a warning on the bottle saying not to use it with flamed edges - the chemicals in it, or even rubbing alcohol will Crack the whole thing.

I'd you use soap and water you should be OK though.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I like Johnny's idea of buffing it out.

I've never liked the finish of cut plexi and these tips on how to make it look better are great...never knew about it and I'm glad I asked.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
P95 is how we would make it, gives a really nice uniform finish. Router cutting the prices with the hole is best. Don’t like drilling acrylic, even with the special drill bits. 220 or 320 gut sandpaper and a DA sander on the edges makes a nice matte finish that looks good with frosted or non glare acrylics too.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I need to make this... would this be frosted glass vinyl on the back of clear acrylic with cut vinyl / digital print cut images on the front?

If I used 5/16 plexi, how would you recommend cutting it?

View attachment 141052
Allied Plastics makes these for us weekly. We get 1/2" with beveled polished edges. Just call Jonathan, he knows what to do.

2B

that looks like a frosted second surface, with graphics on the first service.
whoever you order it from should be able to "polish" the edges, IMO polished is better than a flamed.
Allied is a good option for the material

here is a ceiling hanging for a cafeteria

P-95 / P-99 is not as opaque as the frosted film, this will come down to how close you want to be to the image.

Attachments

• Ceiling Frosted.jpg
    Ceiling Frosted.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 285

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
that looks like a frosted second surface, with graphics on the first service.
whoever you order it from should be able to "polish" the edges, IMO polished is better than a flamed.
Allied is a good option for the material

here is a ceiling hanging for a cafeteria

P-95 / P-99 is not as opaque as the frosted film, this will come down to how close you want to be to the image.

Is that frosted or P95 in your image?