• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Plotter for 30 mil Non-Adhesive Poly/Vinyl Cutting

sierragirl78

Printer, Cutter, Web Designer, Graphic Designer
I've been hunting around for a plotter that can cut at least up to 30 mil 46" wide semi-rigid plastic non-adhesive sheets without reg marks and doesn't screw up very often.

My budget is a max of $600 and I don't mind it being slightly used. I would run it off a Windows 10 laptop and hopefully it can tie into Illustrator CS5 or have its own not very complicated rip/print software.

Do you have any suggestions of what I can use?

Also, does anyone know of a decent place to source 10, 15, 20, and 30 mil white matte/matte, matte/gloss, and gloss/gloss sheets? As long as possible, preferably at least 8 foot.

Thanks!

visual800

not to sound ignorant but what is this material you are trying to cut? That would help a lot to determine your needs

When your talking any kind of cutter, plotter and you have a budget of $600 Im thinking you need more money and yes it WILL be slightly used.

I know magnetics can run 30 mil thick so im thinking you need a router or better yet a water jetter. Might want to outsouce this

sierragirl78

The majority of what I'd be running is PVC and Lexan. Honestly, if I can only go up to 15mil or so, I'd be okay with that. Everything that I net will be going towards a Zund G3 and that will run through 30mil like hot butter. Outsourcing isn't a viable solution.
Thanks! :)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The material you are cutting will require a flatbed cutter and $600 won't buy the stand it rests on even used. You might need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

sierragirl78

ahh ok....you need more money lol. why is outsourcing not doable
Because another company is outsourcing to me. I can make more money happen. A used flatbed icut starts at $3k. If that's the cheapest, I'll have to do it next month.

ProPDF

$3k or $30k? I don't think you can find a decent old used flatbed cutter under $15k and that is stretching it. You know a lot of the new Zunds are close to and over $100k. Outsource it out of town if your scared of someone catching on locally to a local outsource....just imo.

henryz

Maybe if you said what kind of material you are trying to cut, cardboard, styrene, polycarbonate or pvc. Like everyone else said I don't think you are going to achieve this with a plotter maybe on a cnc with a drag knife if its not routable? I'm sure whatever it is that you are making you can outsource until you can buy one. You can make your sub sign a confidentiality letter so he does not disclose what or for whom he is doing work for. We do it all the time and we are a much larger shop than most.

sierragirl78

After quite a bit more research today, I think that using a clicker press is going to be the solution. There are a few used 25 ton presses around for a few thousand. Getting it downstairs is going to be hell but it and a couple Apple dies is definitely the most cost effective option.

I'll be cutting PVC, vinyl, tyvek, PPE, and polyester. Mostly industrial tags. The 10 mil vinyl, tyvek, and polyester should be easily cut on a plotter. I tested it today. Even the 15 mil didn't have much of an issue but they would kill the blades faster than I'd like so I'll probably just stick with the clicker for that.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I think you really need to evaluate your budget and methodology, you'd be surprised what you can outsource at what rate. There are alot of situations where someone who gets outsourced too in turn outsourced it again.

Have you considered what dies will cost if they change designs, or when they need sharpening do you have a good die grinder near you? You will be surprised at how much maintenance a clicker press is, and how much weight and force weight one can exert you may have a press that starts upstairs but ends up in the basement. Those machines typically weigh in excess of 2000lbs and excert a large percentage of 25tons of down force, can your elevated floor handle those weight pressures?

visual800

also keep in mind whatever you are cutting for a client and whatever expenses you spend on cutting for them, they could leave you high and dry one day if they found a cheaper source. thats not being negative thats being realistic.

I still think outsourcing is a good bet

sierragirl78

I think you really need to evaluate your budget and methodology, you'd be surprised what you can outsource at what rate. There are alot of situations where someone who gets outsourced too in turn outsourced it again.

Have you considered what dies will cost if they change designs, or when they need sharpening do you have a good die grinder near you? You will be surprised at how much maintenance a clicker press is, and how much weight and force weight one can exert you may have a press that starts upstairs but ends up in the basement. Those machines typically weigh in excess of 2000lbs and excert a large percentage of 25tons of down force, can your elevated floor handle those weight pressures?
I use one everyday. It's going downstairs to the basement immediately, lol!