• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Plotting on Reflective Material

Ryan J. Gill

Trying to plot on a reflective vinyl -
when setting up the plotter it seems to find the markers fine,
but when I actually go to plot it just doesn't locate anything -
I assume the reflective material is causing an issue

any ideas?

I've tried printing a color around the markers, but the ink just isn't opaque enough - even with multiple passes (printer is a jv150-130 running ss21 ink)

we have 2 plotters:
CG 75 fx
CG 160 fx

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_070104858.jpg
    IMG_20210216_070104858.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 310

Snydo

Try putting Scotch tape or matte laminate over the crop marks and try again. Just because it's reading them, doesn't mean it's reading them accurately.

MikePro

yeah, the reflective material is diffusing/refracting the light to the sensor and confusing it.... i just apply a piece of tape over the registration marks and trace the marks on top with a black/blue solvent ink pen or fine tip sharpie.
the bigger the piece of tape the better, as you'll need a ~.25"-.5"+ border of "white space" (even if its the yellow-y 3M masking tape) around the registration marks to help it scan correctly.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
What I have done in the past is to print the crop marks out on white vinyl and cut the black part out. Then apply over existing crop marks, usually works out just fine.

ActionGraphics

I've had some success with the above methods, but I think a better option is to tape whatever you want to plot to a "rider" or "sled" of plain white vinyl, so that you have a border around your tricky vinyl for the crop marks. Then just print the marks and cut. Much more accurate and less screwing around.

Attachments

• Sled.jpg
    Sled.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 106