• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PMS 185C troubles

JeremyGSI

I have a Mutoh ValueJet 1638X and I am running my color through Colorgate. I am trying to match a PMS 185C and I just can't seem to dial in this color. I have my color swatch matches on and my Lab color is coming out at 50.2/76.5/48 and my Delta E is a 10.3 reading. I wrote a profile for this material and a majority of the typical PMS colors that I use are fine, but this just seems to out of gamut. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeremy

paperstrategies

no spectra. I assign cmyk values to all of my prints. Perhaps the rip you're using is drastically different from mine. Lab always seems like too much guesswork for me. Was just curious, don't be so pushy.

dypinc

no spectra. I assign cmyk values to all of my prints. Perhaps the rip you're using is drastically different from mine. Lab always seems like too much guesswork for me. Was just curious, don't be so pushy.

Don't see where there is a guess work reading LAB values into the RIP with a spectra. Named Pantone Spot color printing to a properly profiled output device with proper LAB values in its Pantone Libraries is no guesswork at all. Then the only limit is the gamut of that printer.

You sound like one of those Color Monkeys that show up on here every now and then that would rather monkey around with input values when output values are the problem. Without a spectro how would you even hope to have correct output values.

Correct Color

Jeremy,

Most likely cause of your issue is your profile.

185 is right out at the edge of gamut of just about all CMYK devices, and the limiting factor to how far out you can get to it is always exactly what your magenta and yellow primaries are -- not all are the same -- and exactly how much of each you're putting down.

If you're at 100% on your magenta and your yellow in your single channel ink limits and you could use more, then you'll never get in spitting distance of 185. Or if you're running multi-dot and you've turned them down to get smooth prints, that could be your issue as well.

But, assuming you've made a reasonably accurate profile, then if you can hit in-gamut colors, but not 185, it's because 185 is out of the gamut you created when you set your machine state for the profile you're using.

How come you aren't using cmyk values?

So...

Where would you get a CMYK value for Pantone 185C?

paperstrategies

Again... I don't have a spectrascope. Color monkey indeed. And yet which one of us is here with an issue? My reds/oranges always seem to come out near perfect with a few tweaks. Perhaps you should pull your file into illustrator and actually look at the image properties.

dypinc

Again... I don't have a spectrascope. Color monkey indeed. And yet which one of us is here with an issue? My reds/oranges always seem to come out near perfect with a few tweaks. Perhaps you should pull your file into illustrator and actually look at the image properties.

Are you talking to the OP since he is the one with the issue? But what tweaks, where? If on the input side then do then have multiple files tweaked for every output device?

paperstrategies

Are you talking to the OP since he is the one with the issue? But what tweaks, where? If on the input side then do then have multiple files tweaked for every output device?
Are you saying you run the same job across different machines? I was just letting him know what I do to fix those errors. Well yeah but rasterlink lets me backup and store saved properties or "favorites" so I'd do the color replacement once and everytime I'd have to hit the same color again I have the correct values saved along with the icc and general settings for the run. They can all be applied to any new job that I bring into rip as well. If you're running one file for one run and you're struggling with color, why are you here arguing and not trying to fix the issue?

dypinc

Are you saying you run the same job across different machines? I was just letting him know what I do to fix those errors. Well yeah but rasterlink lets me backup and store saved properties or "favorites" so I'd do the color replacement once and everytime I'd have to hit the same color again I have the correct values saved along with the icc and general settings for the run. They can all be applied to any new job that I bring into rip as well. If you're running one file for one run and you're struggling with color, why are you here arguing and not trying to fix the issue?

Same files to different output devices, many times. Jobs don't always need to match but if they do, take the lowest gamut device profile and use that for simulation on the higher gamut devices.

Now you are finally explaining yourself. The RIP/output device is where these tweeks as you call it need made. So if you would rather not create CM for your printers or update Lab values in you Pantone libraries by taking measurements with a spectra and instead tweek RIP setting that's fair. Only you know your customers demands. You seemed to earlier state you were tweeking color in the design/input side.