• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pnc1100 and XP 64-bit?

tweakerxp

Hi Guys,

I have a customer with a Roland pnc1100 cutter. It's an oldie and needs a parallel port to work. I built a new computer for him, and of course it doesn't have a parallel port so I was going to order him one, but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience using a pnc1100 and Windows XP 64-bit first. I did some digging and couldn't find anything particularly useful.

Thank-you.

mbarden

My Question is why would you build a PC with XP 64 bit. There are very few apps that run on that platform. Do yourself and your customer a favor and stick with XP Pro SP2 32 bit. 64 bit gets him absolutley no advantages and many more headaches than it is worth.
Just my 2 cents
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

Techman

i totally agree.
You cannot use 32 bit drivers with 64 XP.
In my opinion.
That will include your roland cutter, printers, photo equip etc.. There is no need to use 64 bit anyway. ITs an odd duck that gives you no advantages unless you are running a server. 64XP is based on win 2K3 server so why would anyone want to run 64 hoping to get some increases. The only increase you can get is memory options. This will be offset by the lack of drivers.

I am surprised that you couldn't find anything useful. Every turn should have shown you that. Or the lack of info should have told you there is not much experience with average users and xp64. Smart Guru's do a compatibility check before making any changes like this to make sure there will be no issues. .

good luck

tweakerxp

Thanks guys,

64-bit was by customer request, he needs to make use of all 4GB of his RAM. He does have another machine that runs his printer which of course is 32-bit. The machine in question is specifically for design and printing to a Xerox but it would help if he had the ability to cut right from Corel Draw at the same time.

Techman

he needs to make use of all 4GB of his RAM

WHy? If he needs more than what ram he has XP uses a page file for more virtual ram.
xp can use 3.75 of ram in most cases. You can hack XP to use all 4 megs but it really is not worth it in the long run because you have to use a .ini file.

OldPaint

Thanks guys,

64-bit was by customer request, he needs to make use of all 4GB of his RAM. He does have another machine that runs his printer which of course is 32-bit. The machine in question is specifically for design and printing to a Xerox but it would help if he had the ability to cut right from Corel Draw at the same time.

CUSTOMERS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!!! MOST AINT))))
PNC-1100 cutting from corel.....NO PROBLEM.
have no idea if it can be done with a 64 bit compter, but i run XP with SP1 ONLY....and corel 10 & now X3 and didnt have a problem.

ljbutler1951

2 years ago I had a Dell built for 64 bit. I didn't realize what I did until after I got it and found that I couldn't get any drivers for my equipment. Dell then sent me Win XP 32 bit. I put that on and all my equipment was up and running.

I started having problems with that computer, other computers and equpiment on the network. I went thru everything to try to figure out what was going one. The only thing that has helped was to re-format that computer. I now know that I have to do that every 6-8 months. I'm not geeky enough to know why this fixes the problem...I just know that it does. In 2 years, I have re-formated 3-4 times, each time, computers and plotters start running correctly.