• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pointy Banners

Marie

A local school wants several banners that will have a pole pocket at the top and come to a point at the bottom (see attached for example of shape). We will print the banners on our Mimaki JV33 with heavy ink and full bleeds. I am worried that the pointed end will start curling up. Will running strips of 1-sided banner tape along the sides of the slanted sides help? Or any tried and true suggestions? THANKS!

Attachments

• shape.jpg
    shape.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 538

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • Are they one or 2 sided ??
  • How are you finishing the edges ??
  • Are they hanging perpendicular or flat ??
  • What weight banner material ??

Marie

They are 1 sided on 13 oz banner and will have a pole pocket at the top. They will hang from the ceiling (but on a stage so they are only viewed from one sided). Typically we finish the edges of a banner with hem tape - but am not sure about this banner because of the point. - THANKS!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We just did a few banners like this. About 32" wide and 44" tall. Velcro at the top, but we hemmed all the edges to help cut down on curling and they hung almost perfectly. Ours were 10oz. All we did was to roll them backwards a little and the bottom curl was gone. In 13oz, I'm sure it will, also. However, ours were printed, but not full bleed. You ought to try one and see how it works.

jfiscus

Rap Master
if you're using regular 13oz, you're going to have to hem them all the way around for added weight/support. I would suggest using an anti-curl or more heavyweight banner material for these.

Dan360

We do these regularly for a local school, only hem the top and we use grommets on plain 13oz. Haven't had an issue in 6 years of doing them. (Indoor)

Pat Whatley

We do these regularly for a local school, only hem the top and we use grommets on plain 13oz. Haven't had an issue in 6 years of doing them. (Indoor)

What is this magical banner material you are using? If we tried that with a banner it would curl in from the sides almost immediately.

reQ

What is this magical banner material you are using? If we tried that with a banner it would curl in from the sides almost immediately.

Exactly. Seen many banners in school done this way and ALL of them do curl like that.