• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polishing Bronze Plaque?

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Is there any way to "Polish" or bring the finish back on this bronze plaque?
There are 2 Bronze plaques on this brick monument and they are both about 12 In Tall x 18 In Wide.
The plaques have been up for a long time, Probably around 2002 or 2003.
Not sure where they came from but it looks like the type of bronze plaque that can be ordered at Gemini.

It's a memorial at a local school and the mother that had the plaques installed wants
the finish on the plaques to look better than it does now....
She's not expecting much, I told her I would see if I can find out.

I was thinking maybe some rubbing compound and a Dremel Polishing tool.

Thanks

Attachments

• 61092565046__FE358D11-B631-47F8-884B-156E33125E6A.JPG
    61092565046__FE358D11-B631-47F8-884B-156E33125E6A.JPG
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 216

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Also I'm not sure what these plaques looked like when they were new, so I can't tell what color they were.
I have ordered Gemini Bronze Plaques in the past with a Black Background and Bronze Letters and border.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
If they're removable, I'd send them to Matthews. If not, give their kit a try.

I've seen the same issue with bronze statuary at our local private college, but their issue seems to have something to do with lawn chemicals.

Ideally, the bronze should be vapor blasted, infill painted, letter tops sanded and clear coated to look right. Matthews' process uses baked on finishes that outlast regular paint. They also offer some unique patinas that will make it look "seasoned", yet not artificial...we favorably prefer their hand rubbed antique stain with their gloss diamond coat finish.

From the looks of the bronze and the brick just above it, I'd guess there's a cap, window sill or some other type of overhang (or tree?) that is causing major water drip /retention issues.

A bronze like that shouldn't even begin to show signs of weathering until well beyond the age of that one...something's up with the environment it's in.

JB

Last edited:

Chriswagner92

Is there any way to "Polish" or bring the finish back on this bronze plaque?
There are 2 Bronze plaques on this brick monument and they are both about 12 In Tall x 18 In Wide.
The plaques have been up for a long time, Probably around 2002 or 2003.
Not sure where they came from but it looks like the type of bronze plaque that can be ordered at Gemini.

It's a memorial at a local school and the mother that had the plaques installed wants
the finish on the plaques to look better than it does now....
She's not expecting much, I told her I would see if I can find out.

I was thinking maybe some rubbing compound and a Dremel Polishing tool.

Thanks

I found this: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/restore-bronze-finish-45110.html
and also this: https://www.impactsigns.com/how-to-refurbish-and-restore-a-bronze-memorial-plaque/

Good luck.

Billct2

We refinished some bronze letters on site. We cleaned and then buffed with polishing compound. Sprayed with clear Krylon when done.
They have held up for quite a few years. I would think cleaning the whole plaque, buffing/polishing the raised letters then sealing would work.

unclebun

If they were from Gemini, and you can prove it, or even if you can send them a picture of it and the date of when it was made, they will refinish it under their lifetime warranty. Even if you were not the sign shop that originally purchased it.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
I was going to suggest Brasso, the polishing compound used in the miltary for brass buckles, buttons swords, etc. But that would be way too much elbow grease to restore a plaque.