• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Poll on HP Latex 831 Inks

Are you having issues with HP Latex 831 Inks, Full colour prints delaminating?

• NEVER

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • YES but its now fixed

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • YES its a ongoing problem

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • DONT OWN A LATEX

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
It is a known problem with the 1360 over lam and 1105 vinyl. Avery is fully aware of it. We have switched to the 6460 lam, and that gets rid of the issue

ikarasu

I print on 680 a lot, and I can easily pull the overlam off in saturated areas. We pair it with 8518. We've had it on vehicles out for a year, and theres been no problems... It doesn't seem to delaminate on its own, but you can definatelly cleanly pull it off easily. It scares me, I dont want to re-do 50 police vehicles next year. So I'm hoping while its easy to pull off, it doesn't delaminate on its own.

180/8518 works fine.. IJ35/8508 works fine... even cheap media works fine. The onlything I've had problems with so far is 680. 3290 also peels off easy, but it's not marketed as a latex machine, so I can't blame the ink on that.

CIE_Sparrow

Are you having issues with HP Latex 831 Inks, Full colour prints delaminating?
Hello,

with 831A a i have not trouble.
I had big trouble with older 792 ink at the beginning of production of L26500.

When I had printed "backlit" with dark tone, especially tone value higer than 270% ink, laminate had very weak adhesion on the printing layer.

But from my previous collaboration with HP on some projects .....
1. Not everything you read in techsheet is true :) For example, HP831A in 775ml cartridges and in 3 liter cartridges are not exactly the same inks. Even if some people say it.
2. HP is able to change ink formulation quickly without being spotted by a regular user.

Unfortunately, you can not help changing the lamination - or you can help very little. Vast majority are based on Water-based acrylic adhesives. When the adhesion is weak, it will probably continue to be weak.
If you want to change, you will try the Solven-based acrylic adhesioves - same if you wrapping with water. For example Hexis Vclear. It is expensive.

There are two ways for me:
1. Slowly printing and better curing -> give printing layer greater dose of irradiation from IR. (when you good material you can only higer temperature, but be careful of dimensional deformations)
2. If this does not work, contact your technology vendor to solve the problem.
(it's their job and is closely linked to point 2.)

Of course there are many ways. For example, you can change the material and calibrate your printer and reduce the amount of ink and new ICC profiles with optimization of the curing temperature. But all are just partial compensations for the problem and your wasted time (may not work).

Regards
Vi

Joe House

I don't have a link to the tech bulletin from HP, but I read one addressing this issue and they found that more time after being laminated, before application, is supposed to increase the bond between the laminate and the adhesive.
It's a great selling point that you can laminate right after printing, but you have to wait overnight before you can apply the laminated prints.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
If changing to another laminate fixes the issue he is clearly using the wrong laminate.

So you think only some laminates are supposed to adhere to Latex ink and some are not? Really? In spite of several of us stating it is a known issue with the INK?

If one is using Avery 1105 vinyl with 1080 or 1060 overlaminate and it separates...it is your argument that it's obviously the wrong laminate?

I question your methods of reasoning given the evidence.