• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polyurethane over eco solvent ink and vinyl?

drea3

Have a client who is building corn hole games and wants decals for the boxes. He is then going to cover the entire thing with polyurethane since they will be outside and also to make the surface smooth for the bags to slide across.

Questions: Will the polyurethane react negatively with the eco solvent ink and vinyl? Should I laminate it? Should I just walk away from the project all together?

Thanks for any input!

SIGNTIME

it should be fine we have done it with lam and the only problem is we only put one coat of poly on and it is flaking off ... we also didn't scuff the graphics which we should have we used gloss but i think had we used matte lam instead we would have been fine, this was on one of our shop tables. we also install lettering on some boats for a boat builder who polys over it all the time and has been for years but those are cut vinyl

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to what grade he gets, it will probably work.

I'd eliminate the rigid laminate. I would however, do a coat or two or dry coats from a ClearShield solvent can to help protect your inks. Once you have a light coating, his clear should be fine. He's more than likely gonna wanna put like 5 or 6 coats on there to protect the boards from abuse more than anything else. He should sand between each coat to get small bubbles and imperfections out. That will make the clear last longer.