• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Poor Cutting on Mutoh VC-1300 cutter

brycesteiner

Just recently I have started to have an issue with my Mutoh VC-1300 plotter cutter. The cutting is very poor, almost jittery, and is nearly impossible to weed. I can even run it through a second time and it is still really bad and difficult to weed. I've tried changing the blade, readjusting the blade length, and changing the cutting strip, however, the problem still persists. It happens whether the material is laminated or not. I have never had issues with this vinyl, Avery MPI 3303, or the lamination, before. I also tried other materials and the results are the same. I have attached a picture showing one of the problem pieces.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_0753.JPG

papabud

Lone Wolf
several things you can adjust, the blade force could be way to high, to much of your blade exposed. going to fast
a good cut should just barely cut the vinyl and a hint of the cut on your release liner.
i would start from set one of setting your blade and backing the pressure way back till it stops cutting then add a little pressure till you get a perfect cut

brycesteiner

Thanks for the fast response. Normally, I use the automatic blade length adjustment, so I did it again and just backed it up little. But it didn't change anything. I also tried slowing it down and backing off the pressure. After attempting to weed it again, I noticed that in the liner I could see an inconsistency of the cut. It looks like the pressure is changing as it is cutting, but I don't know why it would do this. Is this something I need to have serviced?

papabud

Lone Wolf
i would first look at your cutting strip to make sure it is clean and flat. no bumps or waves in it at all

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It looks like you are cutting all the way through the vinyl. Are you meaning to do that or is that part of the problem?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I actually think your blade holder may be worn out. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Since you've eliminated the blade itself, your cutting strips, and your settings, looking at it would be the next logical step.

brycesteiner

It looks like you are cutting all the way through the vinyl. Are you meaning to do that or is that part of the problem?
That is part of the problem. Some places it's cutting through the backing other places it's not even cutting through the vinyl

brycesteiner

I actually think your blade holder may be worn out. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Since you've eliminated the blade itself, your cutting strips, and your settings, looking at it would be the next logical step.
We have been cutting quite a bit of HIPS lately and I wonder if that has acerbated the wear on it.

brycesteiner

I came in this morning after letting the cutter sit all weekend, and now suddenly it seems to be cutting fine. On Friday, we had used a lubricant on the inside of the blade holder, but that made no difference in the moment. But, it seems to be doing better now. I will be keeping a close eye on it though.