• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Possible script or easy way?

crny1

Is there a script out there that can take a odd shaped design in Illy and calculate the SQ FT? I work with some REALLY weird shapes and have to calculate the sq ft. It can be a pain in the *ss sometimes. Looking to make life easier! Thanks

crny1

Rick, Do you use Cadtools? I downloaded the trial version and have noticed that when there is a clipping mask involved the numbers are not quite correct. Am I doing something wrong? Seems pretty straight forward to get the area by sq inches but the clipping mask throws a wrench into the mix.
The only plug-in I know that can do that is CadTools by Hot Door (www.hotdoor.com) on the CadTracker window...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I pretty much design everything using Cadtools...

Cadtools will calculate square footage on any shape you select, if shapes are stacked on top of each other or masked, it will add all the shapes together that are selected or masked.

When you mask something, since it will combine the background shape(s) with the mask shape... I always select the mask shape using the "DIRECT SELECT tool to determine the square footage.

Remember, it will only count the square footage of the actual shape, so it's an odd shape - like you mentioned, it will only calculate that shape... if you need the overall square footage, I draw a box around it and CadTracker will calculate that box (if thats the only shape you selected)

If you have shape on top of shape (say 2 stars - but maybe one is offset a little, and select both, it will calculate both including the overlapped area... when I need an overall square footage of the 2 stars only, I will copy all the shapes, Pathfinder>Unite - then you will get the overall square footage of both shapes "welded" together.

Geez, it's really easy but when I explain it, it seems hard.

Last edited:

crny1

Thanks! That makes perfect sense now that you explain it.
I pretty much design everything using Cadtools...

Cadtools will calculate square footage on any shape you select, if shapes are stacked on top of each other or masked, it will add all the shapes together that are selected or masked.

When you mask something, since it will combine the background shape(s) with the mask shape... I always select the mask shape using the "DIRECT SELECT tool to determine the square footage.

Remember, it will only count the square footage of the actual shape, so it it's an odd shape - like you mentioned, it will only calculate that shape... of you need the overall square footage, I draw a box around it and CadTracker will calculate that box (if thats the only shape you selected)

If you have shape on top of shape (say 2 stars - but maybe one is offset a little, and select both, it will calculate both including the overlapped area... when I need an overall square footage of the 2 stars only, I will copy all the shapes, Pathfinder>Unite - then you will get the overall square footage of both shapes "welded" together.

Geez, it's really easy but when I explain it, it seems hard.