Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly greatest elec. guitar solo ever? PRINCE!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Arlo Kalon 2.0, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lZ1Mu78VFM

A friend of mine who is a successful Nashville songwriter and blues performer in his own right named Randy Handley recently posted this on Facebook. He said it demonstrates Prince's often overlooked genius. The solo comes at the end of the song but I can't stress enough the wait is WELL WORTH IT!!!

Tags:
  2. Speedsterbeast

Speedsterbeast Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Thunder Bay
    I think Prince's guitar prowess is often overlooked because of his "flakeyness" but I have always thought of him as one of the underrated greats on the electric.
    Good post. Never saw that one before.

As for greatest guitar solo. You opened up a can of worms my friend...
    Say what you will. Thousands of cleuless screaming girls still can't overshadow this guys pure talent
    Starts at 2:45 for those who have real work to do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89L86yWdWkg

As for recorded solo.
    My Canadian friends will know these guys..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B11DSS9AnOo

3. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    That was the title my friend gave to his FB post with this video - not my words. I will admit tho watching this gets my adrenaline pumping. I get pissed to see Prince toss that wonderful Telecaster in the air at the end.

4. thinksigns

thinksigns SnowFlake

Nov 28, 2010
  5. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

6. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Tooo Many

To many to pick, but here is one of my favorites. Caught the show a few weeks ago in Vegas.

Attached Files:

7. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Gotta love Joe! Have seen him as a solo many, many times. Extremely nice guy to hang out and chat with as well. No rock god ego to him at all.

8. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    Also gotta mention Kenny Wayne Shepard and just about everything off the Ledbetter Heights album!

What's Going Down

9. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Had the pleasure of hanging with the G3 guys back in the day. Kenny, Satch, and Vai. Must say that Joe is the most amazing person I have ever met (and I have met quite a few rock stars in my day)

10. SD&F

SD&F Very Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    That was friggin amazing......I LOVED IT!!!!!

11. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
  12. Mike F

Mike F Active Member

May 11, 2011
  13. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wow, so many to choose - much depends on the listener's taste, and the version of the song. Led Zep - stairway, SRV - Tin Pan Alley, the list goes on.

However, I think Tommy Emmanuel is not nearly as well known as he should be (outside of guitar circles that is). I really don't think he's even human, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk&feature=related

14. Perks

Perks Member

Sep 4, 2008
    The late Fusion Jazz guitarist John Dougerty from Wilmington, Del was known as one of the fastest guitarist during the 70s. He invented the stone pick. He played with James Brown, George Benson, Kool and the Gang (he helped write 'Celebration'), Jack McDuff, and Pat Martino. I heard him at Slades on Tremont in Boston when he put together a trio featuring Walter Radcliffe on B3 and Don McBride on drums. He hired me to make his banner. RIP JD

15. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
  16. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
  17. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    I've always thought Prince was underrated as a guitarist. Love some of the guitar work/solos on earlier stuff like "Purple Rain", "Beautiful Ones" and "Let's Go Crazy."

18. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    While Prince is a very good guitar player, I think his 'Showmanship' greatly outweighs his ability. Not taking away from that solo... or other solos, but much of this is in the presentation and his confidence.

Carlos.... is one of the best..................... Carlos Santana. Now that man breathes through his guitar. He's actually in it.

19. Speedsterbeast

Speedsterbeast Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Thunder Bay
  20. ForgeInc

ForgeInc Active Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Portland, Or
    I saw prince live a few months ago. Although I was a fan years ago, he wasn't on my radar for many years and going to the show I forgot how great his musical ability really is.

Say what you want, that boy is frickin Funky! Backed by legendary sax placer Maceo Parker it made for a killer show. To many he may seem underrated, but I think those in the know realize what an outstanding, all around musician he is.