• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

post lamination alignment issues

divers2deep

VS-540

Media IJ-35 - Matching lam.

I have been struggling with my cut lines post lamination. I understand that creating a bleed is necessary to ensure proper cuts, however my cut line are way off that even with a bleed, the cut offset is highly noticeable. I will discuss my last job - single art exported out of Adobe Illustrator as an EPS file with "Version : Illustrator 3 EPS" setting. I then copied the 4"x3" print 150x which ended up being about 6' of material. The media was laminated and the printer detected all crop marks immediately, the cut lines immediately were shifted approx. 1/16 of an inch to one side. The up and down cut lines were perfect. I stopped the cut and proceeded to restart crop detection and cutting, the machine started cutting on the exact same location as before. I let the cutter cut the entire media, ALL decals were shifted in the exact same location, no differences between them.

I have gone into service mode and done a print cut calibration, I have performed crop mark registrations, all were calibrated and appear to be good. as far as I know!

This isn't an issue when doing a print/cut with no lam and when not needing crop marks.

I don't believe this is a pinch roller or media feed issue, since the cut lines are exactly the same through this large document. but I may be wrong!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

euronymous

Did you do these adjustments in both service and user mode? Also - Check the voltage of crop mark sensor. service menu - cutting menu - cropmark sense - outlevel check (press enter). Should read MAX 2.7v. Give the ink a few mins to dry before doing any adjustment to voltage (theres small pot above tool carriage for adjusting)

Hey divers2deep,

Start your test by turned off the heaters and dryer on the printer, allowing the platen to cool before you reload the material for cutting. Heat applied to laminated material can through off the cutting position. Just a consideration.

If the problem continues, crop mark detection and/or cutting inaccuracy could be the result of the sensor being out of calibration, it could be a lighting issue in the room, it could even be a light reflection/glare issue with the lamination. We understand your comment that "this isn't an issue when doing a print/cut with no lam and when not needing crop marks". but it's encouraged to try the following to further isolate the problem.

1) Print a job with crop marks and when it's finished printing, do NOT remove the media from the printer.
2) Use the UP arrow to reverse the media until the lead edge crop marks are positioned properly over the cutter protection strip.
3) Set the "base" point on the printer so when the printer scans for the marks, it does not advance the media.
4) Setup the software for "cut only" and send the job to the printer so it can detect the crop marks.

If the marks are not detected, or the cutting is offset of the print, the printer will require inspection and calibration.

However, if the job cuts spot on, then the problem is likely related to the laminate, or the way you're manually reloading the media after it's laminated.

Try reloading the media, being very careful that you're positioning the leading edge crop marks properly over the protection strip. Once you're 100% sure the material is loaded properly, try adjusting the lighting in the room to reduce reflection/glare that the sensor is likely detecting (even move the printer to another part of the room, if you have space to do so).

Try cutting again.

Ultimately if the problems continues, it's encouraged for you to call your regional Roland dealer have them repair the printer (you'll get a 3 month warranty on the parts they install and the service they perform).

Take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

divers2deep

Hey divers2deep,

Start your test by turned off the heaters and dryer on the printer, allowing the platen to cool before you reload the material for cutting. Heat applied to laminated material can through off the cutting position. Just a consideration.

If the problem continues, crop mark detection and/or cutting inaccuracy could be the result of the sensor being out of calibration, it could be a lighting issue in the room, it could even be a light reflection/glare issue with the lamination. We understand your comment that "this isn't an issue when doing a print/cut with no lam and when not needing crop marks". but it's encouraged to try the following to further isolate the problem.

1) Print a job with crop marks and when it's finished printing, do NOT remove the media from the printer.
2) Use the UP arrow to reverse the media until the lead edge crop marks are positioned properly over the cutter protection strip.
3) Set the "base" point on the printer so when the printer scans for the marks, it does not advance the media.
4) Setup the software for "cut only" and send the job to the printer so it can detect the crop marks.

If the marks are not detected, or the cutting is offset of the print, the printer will require inspection and calibration.

However, if the job cuts spot on, then the problem is likely related to the laminate, or the way you're manually reloading the media after it's laminated.

Try reloading the media, being very careful that you're positioning the leading edge crop marks properly over the protection strip. Once you're 100% sure the material is loaded properly, try adjusting the lighting in the room to reduce reflection/glare that the sensor is likely detecting (even move the printer to another part of the room, if you have space to do so).

Try cutting again.

Ultimately if the problems continues, it's encouraged for you to call your regional Roland dealer have them repair the printer (you'll get a 3 month warranty on the parts they install and the service they perform).

Take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

The lighting seemed to fix the issue at hand. I simply shut the lights off to half of the room where the printer is located. I did not have any other issues. Thanks for responding.