• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Post Painting?

Jillbeans

OK normally I would have done this prior to install but it is really hard to find someone to help me with things like this so I had to jump when help was offered.

I now have two wolmanized posts in the ground for my own sign.
They will be almost totally hidden when I get the sign up, and I want to paint them flat black. (using latex paint) do I need to prime them first with KILZ?

They were rained on all day Saturday, but yesterday was sunny and today is supposed to be sunny and 57°. But we did have frost this morning. I just don't want it all peeling off or rotting out.

:thankyou:
Love....Jill

coyote

We use Zinser Bullseye 123 primer on our pressure treated posts-We let them dry thoroughly first. It's a pain, but when you paint over wet posts, the sun hits them and heats up the wet which will bubble up and ruin your paint job. I've had to strip and repaint posts that were'nt thoroughly dry.
good luck, C

John L

You did good by putting them upright, in the ground. But the have to be dry and clean.

The biggest issue is that if you just brought them home from the store, they are probably wet (from the pressure treating process). But the fact that they are standing up, outside will expedite drying.

We "try" to leave them outside untill they appear dry on the surface (usually a couple weeks unfortunately). Then scrub with soap and water and allow that to dry real good.

Then prime and paint. And, yes, kilz2 would be a very good choice for primer.

signmeup

I use a water based primer and latex paint. The post are dry on the surface but wet inside. I haven't had any problems. The primer is from Home Hardware so not much use to you to give you the product number.

Mal

Hi there. I've had the green bleed through light colours on pressure treated posts, but it shouldn't be a problem with black. How about solid hide stain in black? You could skip the priming step. My bigger problem with these treated posts is that when they do dry out, they check like crazy. I've given up on using them as is, if they are going to be visible. Instead I clad them with clear pine, pre- painted in the shop. Then you don't have to worry about good painting weather, which has been in short supply around here(!)---mal

signage

Jill how lang have you had these posts (no necessarily in th ground)?

If the posts are not dry I would not paint yet!

Billct2

I agree, stain them black. We'll just use thinned 1shot sometimes.
Then next spring you can give them a coat of flat black latex if you want.

Jillbeans

Looks like I will be a-staining them later today!
They were bought last week, seemed dry too.
Installed last Monday and last Thursday.
Everyone keeps telling me the one post is crooked, but it was intentional!
(and tricky to get the correct angle)
Like you said, I can paint them flat black next spring.
Very little will be visible.

knucklehead

A solid body stain will let the moisture that's still in there escape, where as paint will basically seal the moisture in, which is not a good thing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you use solid color stain.... you will not need primer and it always dries flat. The wood can breathe through it so there's no need to worry, unless they are very wet. If you use primer, latex or oil based paints... you will have problems as none of them will allow the moisture to pass through. Also, no need to paint them later.