• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

poster design

ucmj22

Finished this one up today, and I thought it looked pretty nice. 28X40" poster for a JuCo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-08 at 4.17.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-08 at 4.17.10 PM.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 108

J Hill Designs

not bad! The one thing that is irking my eye is that the lines in the shading of the top copy turn the corners and dont all have the same angle

qmr55

I like it! But I will be honest, I'm not totally digging the lines in the shadow. I think if they were more subtle (maybe a lighter color) it would be better but as they are I think your eyes really get distracted from the main copy and go directly to the shadow.

ucmj22

not bad! The one thing that is irking my eye is that the lines in the shading of the top copy turn the corners and dont all have the same angle

what do you mean by turn the corners?

the lines used for the photoshop mask were created in Illustrator. They are all at a 45º angle and are equidistant.

ucmj22

I like it! But I will be honest, I'm not totally digging the lines in the shadow. I think if they were more subtle (maybe a lighter color) it would be better but as they are I think your eyes really get distracted from the main copy and go directly to the shadow.

I thought it gave them more of a metal frame look which I thought worked well for this, but I dont have another designer to give a second look anymore so. I'll have to remember that next time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The poster is a poster... it looks nice.

To continue on with the shadow, why are the insides of letter's shadows treated differently ??

J Hill Designs

yeah it may very well be an optical illusion, but this hopefully illustrates my point

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 86

ucmj22

yeah it may very well be an optical illusion, but this hopefully illustrates my point

I see what youre saying. I think its partially a biproduct of downsampling to less pixels, and partially just an optical illusion

Here is was before the line addition. Guess I should have quit while I was ahead

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-08 at 3.59.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-08 at 3.59.11 PM.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 110

ucmj22

To continue on with the shadow, why are the insides of letter's shadows treated differently ??

how so? The main text has a uniform inner shadow effect applied. Is that what you're referring to?

SignManiac

Just don't see any benefit to the zebra stripe cast shadow. As small a detail as it is, it's distracting and takes your eye away from the main message of the poster. Otherwise I like the layout. Now my eye is twitching from it and it won't stop :)

ucmj22

I see, you too are distracted by my liney drop shadow. As I said before, I thought it gave it a framed out look that I thought worked with the construction theme, but I guess the consensus is that I missed the mark.

Dennis422

Looks good. The only thing that buggs me is the background (Sky).
It is a big to dark for for a "bright" Solid future

I would prefer it to be a blue sunny skies. Just gives a different dimension to the poster.

Other than that, looks "solid".

Gino

Premium Subscriber

how so? The main text has a uniform inner shadow effect applied. Is that what you're referring to?

This............. dotted lines-not.jpg

Besides, when is a shadow lighter then the letter ?? Shadows are cast from a light source, hence the word shadow..... unless your letters are jet black on a very light background, but they'll still be darker than the background color. Otherwise, it's not a shadow.

A shadow would not be the place to try and get creative to achieve solid impressions. Either re-worked the letter itself or like OP said, let well enough alone.

If you want to give the impression of something strong.... have sun rays or something shining through. That's always gives a strong feelings.

Craig Sjoquist

I like the poster looks great in fact .. those dash lines shading way cool

The flow is good, simple to the point, good colors & contrast.

ucmj22

I like the poster looks great in fact .. those dash lines shading way cool

The flow is good, simple to the point, good colors & contrast.

awww crap, Craig likes it... now I know its terrible!

:ROFLMAO: Just messin with ya Craig! Thanks for the compliments.

one thing that I did with the colors was for the box at the bottom, and all of the text, I sampled colors from the image. the blue at the bottom is from the top left sky, the cream for the bottom text is from the paper, and the main head and bottom text drop shadow are from his jacket.