• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Potential plotter purchase

Ang7399

Hi all, I am in need of some advice on which plotter to purchase. I work for a company that makes labels/signs (I print/cut the vinyl) so I am very familiar with how plotters work. I have been looking for a used plotter for a while for use at home for hobby use, nothing professional by any means. I found two potential plotters that would work, but the only thing I would be purchasing is the actual plotter, no software. The choices are either an Ioline 100 or a Mimake 64 Samurai Plotter.

I have a Mac that has Illustrator CS5 and a PC that has Illustrator CS3. So far the research I have done on the two plotters has shown minimal info (I'm assuming because of the age of the plotters). Any research I have done for the Mimake has only turned up info for wide format printers. So I have nothing to report for that one. For the Ioline I have found that it can export from Illustrator, but can I cut from Illustrator? Do I need additional software, or would a driver suffice? Can I use it with my Mac or does it have to be with the PC?

I'm pretty lost on this one, anytime I've gotten new stuff through work, someone else made the end decision and it was brand new and comes with everything I would ever need. I've never bought something like this used before. I am purchasing it through a friend so he is letting me take it home first and make sure that it still works and all that before I actually buy it, but either way I need software/drivers or whatever is needed!

Thanks!
Ang :)

ThinkRight

Hi all, I am in need of some advice on which plotter to purchase. I work for a company that makes labels/signs (I print/cut the vinyl) so I am very familiar with how plotters work. I have been looking for a used plotter for a while for use at home for hobby use, nothing professional by any means. I found two potential plotters that would work, but the only thing I would be purchasing is the actual plotter, no software. The choices are either an Ioline 100 or a Mimake 64 Samurai Plotter.

I have a Mac that has Illustrator CS5 and a PC that has Illustrator CS3. So far the research I have done on the two plotters has shown minimal info (I'm assuming because of the age of the plotters). Any research I have done for the Mimake has only turned up info for wide format printers. So I have nothing to report for that one. For the Ioline I have found that it can export from Illustrator, but can I cut from Illustrator? Do I need additional software, or would a driver suffice? Can I use it with my Mac or does it have to be with the PC?

I'm pretty lost on this one, anytime I've gotten new stuff through work, someone else made the end decision and it was brand new and comes with everything I would ever need. I've never bought something like this used before. I am purchasing it through a friend so he is letting me take it home first and make sure that it still works and all that before I actually buy it, but either way I need software/drivers or whatever is needed!

Thanks!
Ang :)

http://www.summausa.com/products/summacut.php

rcook99

I saw your post about used plotters. As long as you stay with Graphtec, Summa, Roland, Gerber or Ioline I think you would be happy as long as your doing only cut vinyl and no die cutting they will all work. Keep in mind Graphtec does make the FC and CE series the FC is for heavy commercial work and also die cutting and the CE series is a little lighter built machine but still does work well. Stay away from any of the Chinese built machines they are ok but loud.

Ang7399

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure I was 100% clear in my first post, I am not looking for recommendations on any plotter, just the two I listed above. I'm just curious which of the two would work best. And where I can get the software to make them work with Adobe Illustrator. Just based on the info that I have found myself, the Ioline sounds like the better deal. I'm just not sure how/if I can hook it up and make it work.

Ang7399

I did search on Iolines website, and found a few things I could install on my PC, but happened to be on my Mac at the time... I also sent customer service at Ioline an email. The link you provided doesn't show the exact model that I am looking at, but hopefully they are all similar.

rcook99

Aren't graphtecs Chinese made?

No Graphtec is a Japanese company. The point being made is simply you get what you pay for. Yes the cheap chinese plotter will work for a while but they are simply not built like a Graphtec or Summa.

Cyw

Ang, give Russ or Jim a call Monday morning
They'll answer any questions you have
Great techs

We have an Ioline 300 flatbed as well as a 15 year old 100Smartrac that's still going strong
I like to cut directly from Corel so I use additional software but if I didn't care about transfering the files, I could also just cut from The Ioline print center

Now this is for a PC, I have no clue about MACs

If you call tech support, they'll tell you your options including any cables you may need to convert that old parallel connection which still could be on the machine.......

Diane

Ang7399

Ang, give Russ or Jim a call Monday morning
They'll answer any questions you have
Great techs

We have an Ioline 300 flatbed as well as a 15 year old 100Smartrac that's still going strong
I like to cut directly from Corel so I use additional software but if I didn't care about transfering the files, I could also just cut from The Ioline print center

Now this is for a PC, I have no clue about MACs

If you call tech support, they'll tell you your options including any cables you may need to convert that old parallel connection which still could be on the machine.......

Diane

Awesome, Thanks!!! I have heard from Ioline customer service, and they gave me a few links to software downloads too so once I get my old PC up and running I'll download them and check it all out.