• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Power line right of way.. can't do a sign?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I had a customer a little while back that had a 6'x12' pole sign, flexface material that needed to be redone. When I did the survey I noticed the sign was like 3-4 feet from 3-phase distribution lines... lines were pretty thick and had good size insulators so I assumed some hefty power when through them. I called the power company to find out what the minimum approach clearance was on those lines and they told me that we're not allowed to get within 10 feet of the lines... Well, the sign was 4' at best... so how are we to service it? Even if I was on the other side we were still in the right of way. Only way I could think of doing it was to remove the cabinet but that would require the guy that welds it to STILL be in the right of way.

I told the customer this was a no-go... and he actually wanted us to just do the side of the sign that faced away from the power lines, which I did. I asked another sign company in town and they said they have turned down jobs that were too close to lines too.

Question is, have you ever run into this problem before? If so how did you handle it?

It's VERY rare I see a sign so close to power lines...and this job is long done, but still curious as to what you would do or have done.

equippaint

upload_2019-5-28_15-43-38.png

Tell him to call the power co for a disconnect so you can get close enough to change and call you when that's done. That will make this job go away.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Any info one how to tell what lines are what from that source?

Only guessing and observational... Thick wires and big insulators mean high power.

That's why I called the power company to see what I was dealing with...but minimum clearance wouldn't have mattered anyway.

CanuckSigns

View attachment 140873
Tell him to call the power co for a disconnect so you can get close enough to change and call you when that's done. That will make this job go away.

This, Inform the client that the power needs to be disconnected, and let them deal with the power company, there is a reason you're not allowed near these things, you could knock out power or worse kill yourself or someone else.

Once the client finds out how much the hydro company charges to disconnect, you might get to sell them a new sign in a different location!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This, Inform the client that the power needs to be disconnected, and let them deal with the power company, there is a reason you're not allowed near these things, you could knock out power or worse kill yourself or someone else.

Once the client finds out how much the hydro company charges to disconnect, you might get to sell them a new sign in a different location!

It was a distribution line serving many people

equippaint

It was a distribution line serving many people
It was tongue in cheek. They will NEVER disconnect it. You cant accurately judge how much power is in a line by its diameter. Generally power is transmitted in high voltage, which is less amps and the lines can be much thinner. Then it is stepped down to regular voltages for local distribution. An extreme example is a high line with 345,000 volts at 1 amp is equal to 2875 amps at 120v. It would take a line the diameter of a tree trunk to carry that 2875 amps but a shoe string would carry the higher voltage at 1 amp. You probably know this but power will jump which is why they have required safe distances, it's not about bumping into it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It was tongue in cheek. They will NEVER disconnect it. You cant accurately judge how much power is in a line by its diameter. Generally power is transmitted in high voltage, which is less amps and the lines can be much thinner. Then it is stepped down to regular voltages for local distribution. An extreme example is a high line with 345,000 volts at 1 amp is equal to 2875 amps at 120v. It would take a line the diameter of a tree trunk to carry that 2875 amps but a shoe string would carry the higher voltage at 1 amp. You probably know this but power will jump which is why they have required safe distances, it's not about bumping into it.

Oh yea, I'm aware it jumps... If you can determine the voltage you can figure the safe distance. Thick or thin I don't wana be near them.

I made a neat power arc by taking two wires and putting them at the ends of a franceformer.

Johnny Best

Somebody at some time has worked on that sign, unless it was installed before the powerlines were there. If you feel uncomfortable and have a premonition about it then just do not do it. You seem to be making good money from your P&L statement you posted so you can let this one go.
Or, get one of those temp guys you use with a long metal pole get up there just to see how far it will arc. I take a bet at no more than 3'-4' on a sunny day, now if there is rain in the air I might go to 6'. So I will bet a $10 tribox on 3,4 and 6.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just go do it. First of all, the electric lines are at the top, not those you are referring to. Those are phone and cable lines. There are no 3 phase lines there, that I see. How do you think they service that box ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Call the utility to have power line protection put on the lines so you can work on the sign.

I asked them about that too and they said no... they were stead fast on not being within 10 feet.

As I said... the job is long done and I won't be revisiting it... I was curious as to what ya'll think so I had some ideas for next time I encounter this situation.