• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

power problem JV3 160SP

folvacny

Hello,

i have completly reworked my mimaki jv3-160SP (new ink tubes, fittings, O-rings, 4xheads, 2x pumps, 8x dampers, 4x ad plates, 8x head ribbon cables, 1x waste bottle, wiper, wiper holder, 4x cap tops, maintenance kit, lubricant, clean all main parts like cariage, printing plates, lubricate all shaft with special machines lubricant, and lot of parts).

Now i have bought inks (inktec eco solvent)

The problem:
I have try to first run my jv3. everything was good but i didn get to service menu for align heads and enter heads IDs. I have decided to restart my machine and try it again but the machine is in state, where green power button lights, but display is no show anything and no lights, cariage is not moving and fan want to start and pumps too. my friend Jim say, that it should be some problem with power. i have checked if some led diod lighting on main borad, but there is no lighting. So i have to look for to board next to the pumps. there is blinking red light in the middle. By the way. the encoder sensor doesn't lights too.

Please can some body give me info, what is wrong or which parts is necessere to replace eventualy what i have to check or how this bug repair?

Thanks a lot for every respond.

PS: Sorry for my engish, this is not my national language, hope you will understand correctly. Eventually i can specify this problem another way

Last edited:

artbot

this means the machine is in a dangerous state. there is a short somewhere, usually caused by wet ink on a board somewhere and the machine is attempting to protect itself. do not turn it on until you inspect for dripped ink on the boards (carriage, main, heads).

folvacny

there is no any ink leak. ink tubes are filled for half (not in heads and dampers yet). how can i inspect this behavior?

folvacny

is possible that the black color leak after heedle but when i see main board, the was not any color on that board. im scared that the main board is bad

folvacny

is any chance how to detect what is wrong? this is my first reworked machine.
ia have unplugged ribbon cables from slider to heads and still doesn't work

here are few videos:
[video=youtube_share;vvydoYF5tuY]http://youtu.be/vvydoYF5tuY[/video]
[video=youtube_share;OuA7WbcORnc]http://youtu.be/OuA7WbcORnc[/video]
[video]http://youtu.be/Yd1nSndf9oM[/video]
[video=youtube_share;sIZ5IXyN49Q]http://youtu.be/sIZ5IXyN49Q[/video]

folvacny

IMG_20140803_124115.jpg IMG_20140803_124205.jpg IMG_20140803_124147.jpg

what should be burned on the motherboard? I have looked on ebay end there are lot of transistors for jv3 motherboard, so is possible that this is common defect?

on the middle PCB board blinking red light. on the left picture doesn't light any green diode.

Last edited:

folvacny

this means the machine is in a dangerous state. there is a short somewhere, usually caused by wet ink on a board somewhere and the machine is attempting to protect itself. do not turn it on until you inspect for dripped ink on the boards (carriage, main, heads).

so when the dropped ink dry up, everythings will be ok?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
so when the dropped ink dry up, everythings will be ok?

Maybe, maybe not..... it will depend on whether something burned out when it was first powered on. It could be in that ran down onto one of the 4 heads as well. I'm assuming the 4 heads you bought were for solvent ink and have solvent manifolds on them. If not the manifolds will melt down. Also when installing the dampers on the manifolds you must be very careful to not let any ink get on the head cables - that is where the problems will most often happen. The ink will then run down the flat cable into the connector on the circuit board on top of the head, if powered up like that it will most often burn something up.

All if the flat ribbon cables between the heads and the slider board and the big ribbon cables between the slider board and the main board should be carefully checked to make sure none of the thin flat conductors on the ends have not separated from the main flat part. They can sometimes come loose and then fold over contacting the conductor next to it.

I have not used a JV3 in several years but yes there are several transistors on the mainboard. Any one of which if failed can cause the machine to not boot up. There are also components on the slider board that can cause the machine to not boot as well. Then you also have the firewire board to contend with - that will not cause the machine to not boot but when you do get it to boot up if you get any IF/20 21 errors then the firewire board will also need to be repaired or replaced.

I'd personally check all of the different ribbon cables first and check that no ink has gotten onto the boards on top of the heads. If it still will not boot then you will need to either start replacing boards or have someone test and repair the boards. I'm not sure about where you are but there are 2 places in the USA that repairs the boards. Finally keep in mind, the JV3 is about a 10 year old machine, at some point it is not economical to try and repair one. Due to their age many are being parted out now though so finding used parts on eBay is often pretty easy though. When looking at the prices people want on eBay for a JV3-160SP also keep in mind, what they are asking for one is far from what they are actually selling for. The highest recent selling price for one on eBay was $3500 for one in perfect working condition, the list of parts you have bought so far is nearing that amount. If one has sat for more than a few months which pretty much can ruin the heads they are getting to be worth less than $1000 due to the costs of shipping one and the costs that will be needed to fix it.

folvacny

i have measure power suply unit and there is no power on output. so i think that this part is broken. has anybody experience how to repair power supply?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
A computer power supply also shows not output when you just test it that way, it does when it receives a signal to power on. If it has no output then what is making the green light come on and the red led on the board blink? Magic? Did you try to test the power supply while it is turned on and the green power button is lit and the red led on the board is blinking? If so it has to be putting out some power.

Aside from that I have no info about a JV3 power supply. I know the JV3 and JV33 both use 24v DC power for certain things but they probably also have some other voltages as well like 5vdc. I've never seen a schematic for a Mimaki power supply (or board for that matter) so troubleshooting them at the component level pretty much requires visually inspecting, identifying, then removing components from the circuit in order to test. I've never personally heard of a Mimaki power supply going bad although I'm sure some have. These problems are generally a short or a board level problem.

folvacny

i have turn on the main power and the green power and measure. inpput was 230V (I am from europe) and on output was 0V on all wires measured between GND and +35V, +5V, 3,3V. on this board are only 3 connectors - outputs (yellow,yellow, black, black, red, red, black, black, orange,orange), input white and black (230V), and some third connector there are black, pink, red..

but somebody repair this board, because joints on the PCB are not cleans as others

there is some cappacitors which looks burned (is warped). the PCB is dark on bottom side but i think that this is dust

is there any chance how to tell to power supply to power on?

by the way any diode doesn't lights on main board

folvacny

so the PSU has burned one IC (M51995AP). I will buy from ebay this IC and rework PSU. I hope that the others board (IO board, main board, slider board) will be ok. When i think about it, so when the PSU stoped working, why should be damaged something else like for example main board?

folvacny

so PSU is still burned (change the IC won't help) and main board is probably burned too. I don't know why, because i have replaced all basic parts like ribbon cables between heads and slider, 4x printhead from digiprint-supplies and lot of another parts. there is no ink leak so i can't imagine what were burned the mainboard and PSU :banghead: only little bit ink is on the slider but it is dried up ink from past (it was cleaned few months ago before first start printer) and when i tried it turn on the printer with installed heads it boot but when i wanted to enter maintenace menu i switched off the stand by button and then it couldn't power on (burned mainboard and PSU) :omg: In my gallery there are few photos of reworking process (everything clean and new )

now i have sent all boards to inkmed.cn and waiting for repair but im scared if some head is shorted from fabric, then it will burn mainboard again. Is possible to test printhead if its in working state without shorts?