• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Powerline Networking

jimbug72

Getting a new SP-540i and an FC8000-130.
Want to put them on the network, but the router is about 75 - 100 ft away from where the equipment is going to be stationed in a different room. I was kinda hoping to stay away from pulling network lines across the building.
Was hoping someone had some experience with powerline networking and had any thoughts on any particular units I should look into or if I would be best advised to avoid it.

Just started to research it, and so far the only unit I've really looked into at all was the D-Link DHP-301.

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

SignBurst PCs

Jimbug, I would highly recommend running the cables. There is enough to go wrong already without adding in that little wrinkle. Actually, in an ideal world, they would be directly connected to a computer using a 2nd network adapter instead of your router/switch. This takes network problems out of the loop. Nothing like a print stopping half way through because your switch had a hiccup or lock.

jimbug72

Great point Casey! something I had not even though of.
That being said, I may not even bother networking the printer and just do a direct line to the computer like our SP300.
What about the graphtec though? What are your thoughts on how would networking or the powerline networking effect performance? Same deal?

SignBurst PCs

Great point Casey! something I had not even though of.
That being said, I may not even bother networking the printer and just do a direct line to the computer like our SP300.
What about the graphtec though? What are your thoughts on how would networking or the powerline networking effect performance? Same deal?

The same idea applies with Graphtec. Keep it clean and simple and it will pay off in the long run.

jimbug72

Thanks again! I may still pull a wire to the plotter to have as an option but I don't think I will bother at all with networking the printer since I'm likely going to be the only one using the 540 anyhow.

I love this site!
:notworthy:
:U Rock::signs101:

round man

If I remember right you can pull cat5 cable 180 ft before having to use a line repeater to keep communications up,....

signswi

Run cable, make sure it's cat5e (or better yet cat 6) so you can do Gigabit networking. Powerline tends to have pretty major packet loss.

jimbug72

Thanks for all the input guys. Plotter came in yesterday and I realized that the floor model we bought didn't have the optional ethernet port so I guess it's a moot point anyhow.

I do know that I'll just steer clear of powerline networking (in the workflow at least) I might be willing to consider it at home for streaming video or something.