• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pre made sign work table

Mf

I know i've seen pictures on line of a black premade work table looking for a 5 foot by 10 foot version any one know any company online that carry's these tables?

thank you very much in advance

rjssigns

Wow, for the cost of 1 5x10 table from them, I could make about 12 of our 5x10 tables. Ours are just 2x6's and 2x4's with a laminated particleboard top, they weight around 500 lbs each though.

This^^^^

You could find a local carpenter or metal shop and have them build EXACTLY what you need. Get your perfect working height, add storage, drawers,outlets etc...

CanuckSigns

Here is a quick photo of our tables, about $80 worth of lumber and about 2 hours to put them all together

materials:
6- 8' 2x6
2- 8' 4x4
2- 8' 2x4
plus whatever you want to use for a table top, we lucked out, the building we are in used to be a huge woodworking shop, they had a skid of 1.75" thick particleboard with formica on both faces, 6'x12' sheets, they gave us 2 sheets at no cost, put a rhino cutting mat on top and bob's your uncle.

Scott

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 355

Kottwitz-Graphics

This^^^^

You could find a local carpenter or metal shop and have them build EXACTLY what you need. Get your perfect working height, add storage, drawers,outlets etc...

+1, but with an exception... This may be me, but when I first got into the sign industry (over 20 years ago, at the age 19), I learned how invaluable it is to be as self reliant as possible. The more you can do for your self, the less you have to depend on outside vendors that takes away from profit, as well as possible missed deadlines. That being said, I was taught to use a chop saw, miter saw, skill saw, table saw, welder, paint sprayers...etc. Everything needed to build a simple work table.

I built several tables in my shop and my vinyl work area out of 2x4's, drywall screws, liquid nails, and a sheet of mdf. I did put a cutting mat on the top, but total it cost me roughly $50 for a 4x8 table...

AF

Built our main work table with welded steel tubing, mdf, Rhino mat, wheels and Evo2. It weighs well over 1000lbs with all the stuff stored in it. One person can easily move it around with the wheels unlocked despite the weight. Knowing how much load it would need to take steered me away from a prefab knock-down solution.

Mf

Thank you all for the reply. The only thing I ask is... Besides material, what is your time worth? We own a medium size shop with 9 embroidery heads, a auto screen print & Manuel screen print press. Plus 2 mutoh printers, I can't justify taking the half a day to build a table. We are using a table that has served its time and it's time for replacement. It's not that I can't build one I choose to take my time I have and run production...

time is money, hope every one has a great weekend.

dale911

President
If you have a good, busy shop, the experts on finance and making money will be the first to tell you not to do it yourself, but to hire it out. A lot of business owner get caught in the trap of "saving money" by doing it themselves when in reality, it costs them more to do it as they could be filling orders or generating revenue instead of doing something worth $10 an hour. How much is your time worth? If your shop rate is $50 an hour and you just spent 2 hours building the table, would it have cost you $100 to get someone else to build it for you? I admit that I was taught growing up to never have someone do for you what you can do for yourself. My dad was a great man and there isn't anything I can't do, but that piece of advice has also slowed down my rate of growth. Now that I have began farming out things I can to others, my income has skyrocketed because I can do what I do best, running a business.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Thank you all for the reply. The only thing I ask is... Besides material, what is your time worth?

During the week, I work for everyone else, but I don't work 7 days a week. I plan for some down time, and find building something with my own 2 hands therapeutic. When I am done, I have something for my self, not just something that I build and send it out.

Billct2

It's a personal decision, but given our skills, I choose to build our own tables.
Maybe half a day and a couple hundred bucks for two 5x10s on wheels.
These are the things we do when it's a little slow, usually Jan or Feb when the snows flying.

rjssigns

If you have a good, busy shop, the experts on finance and making money will be the first to tell you not to do it yourself, but to hire it out. A lot of business owner get caught in the trap of "saving money" by doing it themselves when in reality, it costs them more to do it as they could be filling orders or generating revenue instead of doing something worth $10 an hour. How much is your time worth? If your shop rate is $50 an hour and you just spent 2 hours building the table, would it have cost you $100 to get someone else to build it for you? I admit that I was taught growing up to never have someone do for you what you can do for yourself. My dad was a great man and there isn't anything I can't do, but that piece of advice has also slowed down my rate of growth. Now that I have began farming out things I can to others, my income has skyrocketed because I can do what I do best, running a business.

Sooo, instead of spending half a day at 50 bucks an hour and 60 to 80 dollars of material it is more cost effective to buy a table for 1000 dollars that you still have to assemble. (and had to pay to have it shipped to your location and had to have a helper to get it off the truck, moved, uncrated, set-up and....)

Couldn't resist going there.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO: This is really a good topic. Just pick a side and decide whether to defend it or condemn it. Anyone can go either way with this one. There are those times, when it pays to have some busy work, just to clean, organize or just general repairs. Why pay some outsider to do the things you can put off indefinitely and get done on your own time, while still paying an employee ?? Even if you do the work yourself, where is your time or money better spent ?? Delegating to someone who can do it faster, better and cheaper..... or doing it yourself and possibly missing a deadline, a quote or an important phone call ??

I miss cutting my own grass at home, but the money it costs me to have someone come in, cut, trim and clean up is far better spent, then me getting all therapeutic sipping on a beverage and taking a Saturday afternoon, if it's not raining. If it rains all weekend, then I hafta wait til the next Saturday.

Same thing with a shelf or table. If there's nothing planned or we have a few hours down time, then by all means..... make it and keep the guys busy, otherwise.... do what you're supposed to be doing.

29 years ago, I had two old-timers build our desks. They were wonderful.... or I should say they ARE...... and cheap as they were retired carpenters. As we still have them, they're in perfect shape and we've replaced the top on one of them once.