• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pre-mask recommendation

bradsc1954

I am working with 3M 7725 frosted vinyl. I am having an issue with the pre-mask not lifting the vinyl away from the backing material. I am using R-tape 4075.
I did a center hinge method and removed the backing paper from the vinyl. I did this at 180 degree method.

Hopefully someone has advice to help me out. The next one I am not able to watch as closely because I am doing a door.

Thanks for your help.
Brad

gabagoo

you need to use high tac pre mask with 7725. I always found with 7725 coloured vinyl that the best way to remove the graphics from the backing synthetic liner was to flip them upside down and peel back the backer from the premask. With frosted vinyl I don't think you can really do that when it is in place on a window.

I have also learned the hard way that once you cut and premask that vinyl it should not sit around too long as it will become impossible to remove from the backing liner.

lastly run tests before cutting and see just how light you can get the blade to cut the vinyl... I believe that it requires much less force than regular paper backed vinyl and when it cuts deep it opens the liner and that is why it is hard to remove as the adhesive seems to re-glue itself to the open cuts... i could be wrong about that, but have used this stuff for quite a while and have experienced lots of issues different from paper backed vinyls

Johnny Best

I use BriteLine med tack from Grimco and it seems to work good on all vinyls including the 3M 7725 with the clear backing and Arlon etch material that also has the clear liner.
If I am doing small copy I will take the transfer paper and lift it off the backing to make sure all the pieces lift good and then reapply back to backing paper so as not to have problems at job site trying to get a small piece that gets stuck or as gabagoo mentioned on vinyl not cut right.

bigben

I use the oracal HT55 or HT95 with all 3M frosted vinyl that have a clear film liner. Work really good, but like gabagoo said don't let it sit around too long and roll it very loose like 4in+ diameter for transport. I always premask the same day or the day before the installation. I seal it in a polybag tube for transportation so the humidity and change of temperature don't temper with it.