• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pre-masking cut vinyl with a laminator?

Sticky Signs

I've had success and failure while trying to pre-mask cut vinyl with my laminator. The failure usually involves the vinyl and backing paper turning into a wrinkled mess as it's going thru the rollers. I know it's caused by having 2 different thicknesses going thru the pinch rollers - IE vinyl on backing paper and just paper. I have a few ideas as to how to avoid this but I haven't had a chance to experiment yet. I'm just wondering if any one has a tried and true method of applying pre-mask to weeded cut vinyl with a laminator. I have a job coming up that's 42"h x 21'w and I'd like to use the laminator to apply the mask. Any suggestions?

trimitbyrich

Probably depends on the laminator I would suppose. I used to have an old Ledco Econo laminator that would laminate anything I threw in it. It was only 30" wide but it would do a really good job with mask. I have a new 62" GBC that is a lot tougher to use with mask. Seems much more delicate. Try leaving a 1" stipe on both sides of your sheet if you can spare the room. That seems to help on mine.

Sticky Signs

Thanks. That was one of the ideas I hoping to test out when I get a chance. Do you still get wrinkles using this method?
I'm using a royal soveriegn 55" cold laminator.
Any other great ideas out there?

mikesign

I've recently masked 4'x8' cut vinyl in R.S. 55" Laminator. The trick is to get the mask started thru 1st with a corex sled then make sure you run it at 3 speed tops. I had no messups this way

Bly

I have a Seal Image 62 Plus. I had all kinds of wrinkles until I worked out not to feed the job thru the back rollers, just the main rollers. I never have a problem now.

signhere

we have a royal sol. and we start with a 1' x 58" 2 mil pvc panel then after it's started to lam the put the vinyl in and stretch out with the palms of your hands outward and start slowly. also make sure your starting edge is square cut so you can feed in evenly during the process. we do it all the time.

WB

I use it all the time.. never really have any issues..
Normally I'll run a scrap piece of paper through 1st to make sure the tension is good, then I just start feeding the vinyl through. Really it's no different them laminating.