Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premium Forums

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Mar 27, 2020.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Are they the ones without a find and replace feature, or do they have something more worthwhile that I can't see?
    Hell, I thought everything went into general chit chat...

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Premium section is mostly dead. Honestly though I'd like to see it more active. I currently only post there for pricing or rants.

**post has been edited by an admin/mod**

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  3. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I was in premium for a while and not much going on there.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I could see it as a valuable place to share more proprietary type knowledge, pricing, other such stuff, but I didn't even know about it until I looked at the rules earlier. I mean I realized different levels of paid existed, but not a 'hidden forum.'
    I love this place because I like talking about signs way too much, and it's an added outlet. Sometimes its got some valuable information, info from/about vendors, and the off topic post, but mainly because I love someone asking how to do XX. (Though half the time it's someone who may have no business doing it, and I don't often answer the single post questions about stuff.) In any case with the recent surge of c19 posts, politics have flared back up and it blows. Someone go ask how to do something sign related!

5. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Can I make a wrap on my cricut?

6. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    It’s kind of a dead forum, or at least it was when I subscribed.

Felt like a graveyard - S101 doesn't have enough premium / long term. members to fill it's own forum sadly.... Especially when most of the chatting is via general.

Subscribing for access to the premium forums isn't worth it - however if you like the site and want to support it, subscribe for that reason, and the premium forums is a free bonus for doing so... Can't complain about bonuses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Best perspective, kind of like NPR if you actually listen to it, you feel obligated to donate something.
    Challenge declined. Though I was looking at a heavy duty cake one for the wife, but it was discontinued. If I find one I'll tear it down and load something like linuxcnc on it.Then I got to thinking about the 24" plotter we retired and the 500lb engraver I've been meaning to tear apart. She'd have the fanciest automated cake cutter shy of the ones that 3d print in chocolate.

8. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    [
    Yes, look up how to do it on youtube. Just make sure you charge at least $275 for a full wrap.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    It's a good place. However, there are very few people here who want to support the site with a small donation.

If you have something to discuss that's not for the public, that's the place to be. It was great years ago, but today with so much interest in low end signs, short cuts, ways of skirting around customers and vendors, there's not as much a need to pay for that information. Hence, all the bullsh!t you see going on around here, has no chance in the "Premium" sections.

I suggest you try it for six months and perhaps we could all revive it and have some good stuff happening instead of all this stupid stuff. It definitely keeps out the riff-raff.

10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Sounds like a good idea, maybe with all of this dead time I'd have some time to invest in it. Then again, at the moment, keeping all of the guys busy is actually more work than is typical.

11. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Especially with millennials entering the real workforce (ie; jobs they can't just stare at their phones the whole time). I am one to contribute to wikipedia and any other website that has true value to me, which s101 sure does, but the recent trum2020 debacle left a pretty bad taste in my mouth...

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do and see what's best for you, before you can help others.

If something like that can alter your judgments or thinking process, then perhaps you need to re-think some of your values for yourself. In all my years here, I don't remember ever seeing any silly arguments or misbehaving in the 'premium' section. Years ago, there was a section created called the NHB section. Anyone could go in there. It was like dropping off the face of the earth in there. Fred rarely, if at all..... held anyone accountable for their actions good or bad. It created a lotta bad friction between members. For some reason, most people could not go in there, argue, debate, disagree and come out here and still help each other. Religion got tossed around, politics and other stupid stuff. It was meant as a place to let off steam, but it backfired and people got carried away. No one could check their ego at the door before entering. The premium section is not like that..... or at least, not that I've seen. Everyone seems to be like-minded in there, but the population is sparse.

Again, my suggestion would be to make sure you can participate without your blinders and try it for 6 months. Even if you don't like it, you don't hafta be party to anything going on. It shows up, just like any other thread. It's up to you to notice if it's a 'premium' thread or not. Years ago, they were highlighted a different color and were easily spotted. Perhaps the new ownership could do that, if enough people asked.

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    So what's the word on the new ownership anyways? I mean, did I miss a post or announcement of some sort?

15. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    About what ??

16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Just the site changing hands. I mean, without other forum members pointing it out, I'd have no clue. It doesn't matter much to me, but how did everybody else know?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
  17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Well, the new ownership took over I guess about 3 years ago. It was relatively a smooth change, but some things slip through the cracks. As for knowing about various memberships, I guess it's expected that most people read up on all this kinda stuff and familiarize themselves with how things are run around here..... or like you, ask questions. There is a slight cost to becoming a 'premium' member, but you'll hafta look it up and get all the details for yourself. Years ago, Fred, the old owner, would have demonstrations or a free run to garner interest and it seemed to work, but ya don't see that kinda stuff any longer. I would imagine if someone made a thread about it, it would get answered. Look around the rules and policy threads and you'll get more information.

18. Signs101Admin

Signs101Admin Owner

Sep 30, 2016
    New Jersey
    I'm the new own and have been for almost 4 years..... and I truly appreciate the many who support the site by subscribing, it keeps the lights on.

19. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oh I see, I'd read reference to the 'new' owner and never realized you were not the original owner, and therefore was wondering how I could have missed out on some sort of transition.

I do prefer the age old strategy of stumbling in the dark, though not as much as the pull all the screws out and see how it works...

I suppose I'll give the premium a shot, as I spend way more time on here than I'd ought to. Last thing, can we bad mouth other sign companies in the premium forums? I think of it as a trade secret, to know that XXX sign company will try to short pay you and always forget to send a pattern...

20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You do as you want back there. It seems to be more professional on so many levels. You're gonna like it.