• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prepping alupanel, DiBond, etc. for painting?

threeputt

We generally use a Scotchbrite pad or similar to scuff the surface of these panels. Then prep with Rapid Prep.

But I've noticed that the paint is not always as bonded as I'd like. What do others do here? I'd like to top coat in Bulletin enamel.

Is a primer necessary? Hopefully the painted panel is "primer" enough.

Painting experts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you spraying or rolling ?? And what size panels and how many at once of the same color ??

Craig Sjoquist

Scuffs with 400 grit, cleans starts painting.

But this was mention in another forum that panel maybe powder coated & this does not work, so this question is what brand ya using ?

I get mine from N. Glanze & the least expensive

Pat Whatley

What they said...scuff with 400, clean, paint. Usually I clean them with denatured alcohol....mainly because it's the only cleaner on the table so it's easiest to reach.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If we were spraying, I'd do the 400 grit, but the amount of paint going down with a roller..... 220 grit should do just fine. Just be sure to tack it afterwards. I'd still give it as thin a coat possible with a roller.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i roller coat with foam rollers and use ronan bulletin paint, scuff with a 3M scotchpad and still have had the paint come off in sheets, so i say sandblast the carp out of it......j/k

sand it for sure, scotchpad has failed for me a time or two....