• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Preserve old hand painted sign

coyote

Hello all: I'm looking for input on what I can use to preserve an old hand painted sign. Customer doesn't want to have it repainted, but just preserved to keep in the family. Some flaking paint, some peel on bottom edge, but otherwise in pretty good shape. Anyone have a favorite product that would seal the flaking paint, and generally not yellow? I have a few ideas, but always welcome input about any new products out there. Probably 1-shot on MDO, so don't want lead paint flakes to be flying around if they decide to put it up in the house.

Jillbeans

If they are going to hang it indoors I would agree to just a gentle cleaning.
I would worry about any top coat yellowing.
You could maybe try car wax but I would even worry about that turning a funky color.
Love....Jill

Salmoneye

I would be worried about the peel-stop by zinzer. It works well for peeling paint but I don't think that it is a top-coat so it might yellow. Also I think it has a very light yellow tint already and might not flow out or give an optically clear look. Just a thought.

round man

the peel check is a milky acrylic polymer those type compounds do not turn yellow like the oil based compounds